Print Thread
#1141 04/07/03 11:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am interesting in starting the regular protocol, but have been unable to find a doctor willing to moniter me and prescribe the medication needed. Is there a listing anywhere of doctors who are familiar with the protocols? I live in Michigan between Detroit and Port Huron. Any advise would be appreciated.

#1142 04/08/03 03:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello,
maybe a nurse practitioner or a nurse midwife would be more willing to help you. Also you could try a large university hospital, they tend to be up to date on most areas. My ob/gyn would not support me or prescribe meds either. I gave her copies of the protocol and ordered my meds via New Zealand. I monitor my bp every week etc...I am a RN so I know what to look for in the way of any side effects etc..
even when my bp went up and I felt I needed medication, she would not prescribe it. Luckily it went down on its own.
Take care, hope you find someone! Cathy

#1143 04/08/03 04:55 AM
extra helpful experienced member
My Dr had never heard of the protocols, either. I gave him a copy of the protocols, and told him I was going to do this. He made sure I wasn't intending to take Reglan, and let me know that I was likely to not make a full supply. But he had no problem supporting me in the protocols. He just wanted to make sure I wasn't setting myself up for a disappointment.
It will be difficult to find a Dr who has actually heard of the protocols. If you can't find anyone willing, I would try the midwife next. But find out as much as you can on the meds, and see if you are willing to go it alone. Not the recommended thing to do, but some of us have done that.
Good Luck!
DawnL

wife to Jim, mommy to Daphne and Jeran and Jalen
DawnL #1144 04/09/03 09:35 PM
Maryland
csw Offline
Maryland
Dawn,
I am impressed you doc even knew not to use Reglan. It's amazing how many still prescribe it. I work in SICU and our pt's have bowel obstructions, almost every pt in our unit gets reglan every six hours for a long time,,some even get double doses! I was very annoyed at my gyn , in fact I am looking to change , but I will make sure I have my final apt when I am lactating so I can show them my progress! I will start pumping the beginnning of May. Can't wait,,,,take care, Cathy

NG protocol 7 months.pumped 5/15-9/15 started pumping again 1/26/04 Ana born 6/03.home 3/30/04 trying to nurse!
csw #1145 04/09/03 10:02 PM
I know what you mean. I was impressed he knew that, too. I am due for my yearly at the end of this month, and I am looking forward to telling him that I am pumping 27 ounces a day. He wasn't discouraging me, but he wasn't optimistic that I would get a lot of milk. How surprised he will be!
DawnL

wife to Jim, mommy to Daphne and Jeran and Jalen

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.