Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#224 10/24/02 06:53 PM
T
Tandra Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone! I'm new to this board and have some questions about relactating.

I'm the mom of 3 -- ages 7, 5 and 8 weeks. I was never able to get the hang of breastfeeding with my first two babies and desperately want to do it with my newborn now. I got off to a pretty good start, but then had to stop due to 2 weeks of antibiotics that I was placed on. I tried to continue to pump, but ended up loosing most of my milk supply (which never really came in fully) because I wasn't diligent in pumping. My baby will still eagerly suck the breast even though she has been bottle supplemented since birth. She has a good latch, but pulls away screaming as soon as she realizes that nothing is coming out. Since I have decided to relactate (my milk has been gone for about 3-4 weeeks now), I have been pumping every 3 hours as well as taking blessed thistle, fenugreek, lots of liquids and oatmeal everyday for breakfast. I have just ordered my domperidone (which will be here sometime next week). Here are my questions:

1) Since it's only been about 3-4 weeks since I stopped nursing, is there a very good chance that the domperidone will give me back my milk supply (even though I hadn't had a full supply established at the time I stopped nursing)?

2) How long will it take to see an increased supply? I get maybe 1/2 tsp. each time I pump out of my left breast, with nothing coming out of my right breast. How long do moms usually stay on the domperidone? I've been pumping pretty steadily over the past 5-6 days and don't really see much of an increase in my milk supply. After how many days of constant pumping do you see an increase?

3) I'm using an Ameda pump (the Egnell Elite) now. I have read many posts about the Whittlestone pump and how great it was. I contact my LC (who's renting me my current pump) and she doesn't feel that it's necessary for me to change from the pump that I'm currently using. I also read about the PSI pump (I think that's what it was called) and that it was really good too. Does anyone know anything about the Ameda pump and whether or not I'd really see significantly better results if I switched over to either the Whittlestone or PSI pump??

4) Does the Lact-Aid help a lot? Is there a preference between the SNS and the Lact-Aid (as far as one being easier to use than the other)??

I previously posted these questions on another breastfeeding message board, but only got one response that answered one question. I was very disappointed. I'm hoping that I'll get more help on this site!

Thanks ladies!

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada

Here are my questions:

1) Since it's only been about 3-4 weeks since I stopped nursing, is there a very good chance that the domperidone will give me back my milk supply (even though I hadn't had a full supply established at the time I stopped nursing)?

Answer: You'll need a combination of domperidone and what we call "physiological managment". This means that you should start the domperidone ASAP. The recommended dosage is 10 mg 4 times per day for about 5 days and then increase to 20 mg 4 times per day. For best absorption we recommend taking the domperidone 1/2 hour before meals and at bedtime. When you start the domperidone it is advisable not to take anything else. Two weeks after you start the domperidone you can add Blessed thistle (390 mg per capsulre) and Fenugreek seed (690 mg per capsule). We recommend 3 capsules of each 3 times per day with food.

Physiological management includes breastfeeding as often as possible and pumping with a double electric breastpump. We also recommend the use of a supplementary feeding tube devise at the breast to encourage baby to breastfeed. This will further stimulate your milk supply. The idea is to drain your breasts frequently. The more often you do this, the more mik you should have.

2) How long will it take to see an increased supply? I get maybe 1/2 tsp. each time I pump out of my left breast, with nothing coming out of my right breast.

Answer: We usually say that it takes as long to fix the problem as it took to create it. You will notice an improvement right away and then it will build from there. You will need to be vigilent about all of the steps toward relactation.

How long do moms usually stay on the domperidone?
Answer: This depends on your milk supply. As soon as you're making a little more than necessary to meet the needs of your baby you can think about weaning off the dom. Some mothers stay on it for the duration of breastfeeding and others are able to wean off it.

I've been pumping pretty steadily over the past 5-6 days and don't really see much of an increase in my milk supply. After how many days of constant pumping do you see an increase?

Answer: It takes time. But you will notice an increase as soon as you start the dom, usually within 72 hours. I see by your next question that you are using an Egnell....see my comments below:

3) I'm using an Ameda pump (the Egnell Elite) now.
Answer: You didn't mention whether you are usuing a double pumping kit with your Egnell. Many mothers have reported difficulty with the Egnell for inducing lactation or relactation especially if it is a single set up. Mothers with an established milk supply seem to find that the Egnell is sufficient to meet their needs.

I have read many posts about the Whittlestone pump and how great it was. I contact my LC (who's renting me my current pump) and she doesn't feel that it's necessary for me to change from the pump that I'm currently using. I also read about the PSI pump (I think that's what it was called) and that it was really good too. Does anyone know anything about the Ameda pump and whether or not I'd really see significantly better results if I switched over to either the Whittlestone or PSI pump??

Answer: Nona Davis can give you a good idea of the difference between the PIS, the Ameida, and the Whittlestone. She's tried them all....Nona?

Is your LC board certified...IBCLC?

4) Does the Lact-Aid help a lot? Is there a preference between the SNS and the Lact-Aid (as far as one being easier to use than the other)??

Answer: Many mothers inducing lactation or relactating prefer the Lact-aid. Again, Nona would be in a better position to advise.

I previously posted these questions on another breastfeeding message board, but only got one response that answered one question. I was very disappointed. I'm hoping that I'll get more help on this site!

Answer: I'm sorry that you did not receive the help you were looking for on the other site. I feel that with proper management that you should be able to relactate but it will take work. I have no objection to assisting you personally if need be.

Hope this helps. Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.