Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#630 01/23/03 01:34 PM
Boston
valerie Offline OP
OP Offline
Boston
Hi, everyone. This is my first post I'm "co-mothering" six-month-old twins. I started taking bcps two months before the due date, adding extra progresterone towards the end of the first month (in the form of prometrium). After one month I stopped the bcs and started domperidone and pumping. The twins were two months early. The birth mother did very well with lactation, and the twins got to six months on breast milk alone, growing like weeds. But I was able to help out. My story is at http://cosmos.phy.tufts.edu/~kdo/children/damp.html. I am 57 years old, years past menopause, and my last baby was weaned 27 years ago! But I am still making enough milk for the twins to be willing to nurse on me . . . and to have milky burps afterwards! If I have to go a day without nursing, I can pump an ounce or so. I was disappointed at how little I was getting after ten days of pumping so I contacted Lenore. She explained that I had mistakenly used the "relactation" protocol (thinking it was appropriate since I had breastfed before) when I should have used the menopause protocol, staying on the bcps longer. I really couldn't go back and start over because the twins were due soon so I just decided to do the best I could . . . and I am very satisfied. If I can do it at my age, using the "wrong" protocol, ANYONE can do it.

Valerie

Valerie co-mothering Perry and Jocelyn, born 7/21/02
valerie #631 01/23/03 04:32 PM
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Valerie,

This situation is more common that you think. Traditionally any woman who has lactated any time in her life is considered to be "relactating". However, given what we know now, we tend to reserve the term for women who have been pregnant and lactated within the past 6 months to 1 year.

Typically, after a woman has stopped breastfeeding, her breasts undergo "involution" and the milk making apparatus shrinks. The process usually takes about 2 months. Some women do have residual tissue that can be awakened and so we can sometimes help her to relactate with domperidone alone within 6 months to 1 year. However if this does not work out, we generally suggest the accelerated protocol to induce lactation for 30 days. When a year or more has passed, or if relactation does not occur in a timely fashion, the woman would be "inducing lactation".

The amount of time that has passed since the woman last breastfed or if she has never breastfed before would influence which protocol to choose. When inducing lactation, the longer a mother can stay on the medications prior to pumping or breastfeeding, the more milk she will have.

For menopausal moms we recommend at least 60 days on the protocols but of course, once again, longer is better.

So, it's not so much the "wrong" protocol as more like a better head start. We do typically recommend the Menopause Protocol to women who are past menopause. But once you are producing breastmilk you're on your way. All the babies need is about 1/2 oz per feeding to get all the immune benefits of breastmilk so you should be very proud of what you have accomplished.

For more information the complete guide to the protocols can be found here: http://www.asklenore.com/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/gn_protocols.html

Congratulations on a wonderful experience!

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.