Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1149 04/08/03 08:36 PM
MI
Sandra Offline OP
OP Offline
MI
I am on about day #16 of pumping and I am getting a little discourged. I need to hear some good, encouraging feedback. I have been stuck at 1 1/2 ounces per day for about 3 days and am wondering if it'll ever increase! Doesn't this seem like a small amount after 16 days of pumping? I have been taking my herbs and domperidone per protocol, drinking tons of water, eating oatmeal every other day and pumping approximately 9 times daily for about 10 minutes per time! Thanks for the feedback! Sandra

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Sandra,

Which pump are you using? Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
MI
Sandra Offline OP
OP Offline
MI
I am using the hospital grade double Medela Classic pump. Sandra

Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Sandra,

It sounds like you're doing everything you should and that you're doing very well for 16 days!! I would suggest that you pump a little longer...at least 2 minutes past the last drops. Have a look here for the pumping instructions:
http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/pumping_instructions.html

When you say you're drinking tons of water, it's important not too drink more than about 6-8 glasses per day. If you drink to thirst meaning drink when you're thirsty, it comes out to about this much in a day. Too much water can actually work against you so try not to exceed 64 oz in a day.

Keep up the good work, you should see an increase very soon.

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello,
Also, remember some women don't respond that well to a pump,,,once the baby starts nursing ,
it is a much more effective stimulator than the pump. You are doing great, don't get discouraged,,,all of the
sudden when you least expect it your supply will go up and up...take care, Cathy

#1154 04/10/03 12:28 AM
Your not alone. I am at about a month of pumping. .and I am only pumping 3 ounces a day. And I was on the protocol for 5 1/2 months. We just may be low producers.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.