#1974 08/02/03 03:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Everyone,
Well I am in my third week of pumping and YIKES, my nipples are sore, I have been using olive oil, starting low on pump and working to medium,Using warm packs on them. I can look in the mirror and see the ends are red. Any more advice?

Also my supply has decreased from 1/2 to 1 oz to abut a 1/4 ounce and less. I started the herbs on thursday, have been eating oatmeal everyday for a week, drink lots of water. IS THAT NORMAL? I started the herbs on thursday so hope that helps. Any advice?
Thanks
Becky IM to twins due 10-15-03 via GS

#1975 08/03/03 03:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi,

Well, I am not an expert compared to some that may reply but I recently posted myself with the same problem you have. With the wise advice of the people on this website I found out I was doing two things wrong that resulted in sore nipples

1. my flanges or horns were too small for my nipples. I had the standard Medela 24cm and I ended up needing the 30cm. My nipples had been rubbing against the side of the horn (ouch) every time I pumped.

2. I was pumping on high for about 15 minutes. I've since backed off to 5 minutes on low and 10 on medium

With these two changes my soreness is almost gone in just three days!

Jeanne

#1976 08/03/03 02:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jeanne, thank-you for your response. I will order new flanges. Did you loose milk quantity with the flanges? I am frustrated as it seems with the soreness my milk supply has decreased. Also when we nurse a baby does the supply go up easier? Thanks, Becky

#1977 08/04/03 02:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Becky,

When I was pumping with the small flanges I was at about 3oz. When I switched to the larger ones I did a quick jump in about two days to 4 oz. The lactation consultant said the small ones may have been restricting the flow and I believe it was true. I must say that I think that another big part of my nipple pain was the high pump setting but maybe that isn't true for you since you are only going up to medium. but do keep the pump setting issue in mind if you don't get relief with the larger flanges. Remember, it shouldn't be painful (some discomfort, maybe) if it's done correctly.

God bless,

Jeanne

Jeanne

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.