Print Thread
#14663 05/12/12 12:49 PM
TX
J
OP Offline
J
TX
Hello all,
I'm new to the forums but oh so glad I found them! So we got our son on April 19th after he'd been with a foster mom and bottle fed for 11 days. I started the natural route to producing milk with herbs and pumping. I've now decided I'd like todo the accelerated protocol and have the Dom but am having trouble finding a gyn who will prescribe birth control for the protocol. frustrating! I have an appointment next week with doctor #3. I've been using the LactAid with formula since the day we got him. My LC has been very helpful in that regard and with a nipple shield he will latch for a period of time. After 10-15 minutes he seems to get frustrated and stop. I'm assuming this is because he's getting formula so slowly. He gets 1/2 to 3/4 oz in 15 minutes max. So I've been finishing with a bottle. I'm hoping if I can produce some breast milk in a month or two that he will stay on the breast longer. In the meantime I don't want him to keep associating frustration with the breast so am planning to keep him nursing for a bit each time and then finishing with bottle.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks!
Jennifer

Mom to baby boy born April 8th and placed April 19th. Finally got the nursing going, even without a supplementer at times!
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
That sounds like a good plan. When I was building supply, I nursed first and then bottle fed and pumped. I did not have luck with the lactaid, but didn't really need it because my supply increased pretty quickly (I was on the protocol while we were waiting to be matched).

I think you can get the bcp's from inhousepharmacy.biz too (I never did but I thought that was the case).
Jennifer

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Remember, everything gets easier as he gets to be stronger. He will be able to suck stronger and eat faster.
Jennifer

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Hi,

Just wondering if you filter your formula before putting it through the lact aid? I found several times that the tube was blocked if my DD wasn't getting enough milk. Someone suggested that I filter the milk through a wet paper towel first, then through the lact aid filter. I found that alleviated almost all the issues. Every once in a while, I would give a test suck on the tube to make sure it was clear.

I would try and use the lact aid as much as possible instead of the bottle. The later is easier and can be preferred in a very short period of time for a NB

Linda #14670 05/17/12 11:32 AM
TX
J
OP Offline
J
TX
I did filter for a couple weeks but the filter would clog up before I used it for even half a bag. I also tried filtering with a paper towel but that didn't work. So i'mnow not filtering. Any tips on cleaning the filter out?

Jennifer - Yasmin is available through inhouse. Thank goodness! I'm also trying yet another obgyn today. Thanks for the advice! This is the only place I can find it right now.

Jennifer

Mom to baby boy born April 8th and placed April 19th. Finally got the nursing going, even without a supplementer at times!
TX
J
OP Offline
J
TX
My boy is on Alimentum which my obgyn said doesn't mix very well no matter how much you try. This might be part of the problem. Starting accelerated protocol today!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.