home
2 or 3 day old?

In order for my to BF baby at the hospital I'd need written permision from the birithmom that not only allows me to breastfeed but it also has to state that she knows I have not been tested for infectious diseases and that I could possibly transmit a disease to the baby. Hospital poilicy.

The SW had to go ask legal since this has never come up before.

I am hesitant to bring up BFing with the birthmom because if she has a neg reaction to it I don't want to think of that every time I nurse. Does that make sense?

Anyway, so, will 2 or 3 day screw us up?

Deb
Hi Deb,

What we usually recommend in these cases is that you take the path of least resistance. You should be able to get your baby to the breast once you're away from the hospital. We've latched babies as old as 1 year. It's very important that you arange a visit with a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) to assist you once the baby has been discharged from the hospital. This will minimize stress on you and your baby by getting you off to a good start. You can find an IBCLC here: www.iblce.org Just click on the "About IBLCE" button at the top of the page and the US and International registries pop up.

It's also important for you to do your very best to bring in your breastmilk. Babies go where the milk is.

Best,
I didn't latch DD on until she waws 2 days old. Although birthmom knew I was planning to nurse and was cool with it I didn't want to do it there with all the staff and eyes upon me. She latch just fine with the lactaid. I fumbled around a bit at first with the tubing but we got it after a bit. I sure would do as Lenore suggests and contact a IBCLC they will be of great help to you.
© Ask Lenore Forums