home
Posted By: Janeen When to start back on Birth control - 07/10/06 08:08 PM
How long after lacation is induced do you wait to start back on your regualar birth cotrol pills. (Not the ones you used during the protocalls) thanks
janeen
Posted By: Lenore Re: When to start back on Birth control - 07/11/06 02:22 AM
Hi Janeen,

You'll need to wait until your milk supply is well established. We usually recommend an alternative method of contraception to the birth control pill becaue once milk supply is initiated, the estrogen in the combination birth controk pills can hinder production. The least problematic birth control pill once breastfeeding is established tends to be something like a progesterone mini pill such as "micronor" but you still need to be careful of your milk supply and probably think about maintaining the domperidone while you're on the micronor.

Please do not attempt to *induce lactation* with micronor as it is not sufficient.

Best,
Posted By: Janeen Re: When to start back on Birth control - 07/11/06 03:30 AM
Oh, that's very helpful. No I've already order my ortho 1\35 to induce the lactation. I was planning on waiting for 6 months months after my milk was established and things were gong well, but I wasn't sure if I could start again at all, until I was completely done nursing.
Posted By: Lenore Re: When to start back on Birth control - 07/14/06 02:59 AM
Hi Janeen,

Six months is not a bad idea because by then your child will be starting solid foods. But you'll want something like Micronor which is a progesterone mini pill. If you notice a decrease in milk supply you can always stop it and then try again later. As always, please discuss this with your doctor.

Best,
© Ask Lenore Forums