home
Posted By: mamapersoff Stopped the protocol - 04/18/07 01:09 AM
After some serious soul-searching, I decided to stop the regular protocol, which I've been on for 11months now. I gained 26 lbs while on it, and have been unable to lose any weight despite 5x a week workout, 3 of which are with a trainer, and doing the 1200 calorie Jenny Craig diet. My knees hurt, and my dad has serious heart disease, so I feel like this is important for my health.
I'm very worried about producing milk for a baby, but I guess I'll either go the natural route or the accelerated protocol.
Posted By: Lalle Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/18/07 01:30 AM
Irma are you pumping? Nona pumped for a really long time. I know you have been discouraged lately but don't give up. It is fine that you stopped the bdp but I would suggest you continue the dom add the herbs and pump. You can just pump and freeze keeping your milk supply established. Since you have been on it for 11 months you are more than ready to make milk for the baby that will come into your life.
Posted By: TCal Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/18/07 01:06 PM
Irma, i feel your pain!
i gained 30lbs, and i'm pumping 4 months and havent shed 1 pound of it.... i thought by pumping i would lose weight, but i'm just as ravenous as ever! dont give up..... it's only temporary.... just eat healthy and you'll lose the weight some other time....
Posted By: Nona Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/18/07 09:22 PM
Yes I did pump for a long time. For almost 2 years before olivia came along. It can be done!
Posted By: mamapersoff Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/20/07 01:36 AM
After talking to Mindy today and reading your posts, I decided to take the dom and pump. I rented a Symphony today and pumped this evening. I got enough on each side to cover the bottom, so I'm very encouraged! I didn't get that much last year when I was pumping while nursing a toddler, and then after he weaned. I can't believe how much I've learned in the last year. Thanks everyone for your wonderful wisdom!
I'm going to buy a little chest freezer tomorrow to freeze the milk.
Posted By: Lalle Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/20/07 03:07 AM
Good I am so glad. You will be glad you did.
Posted By: Nona Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/20/07 05:20 AM
I am so glad you decided to pump. Keep us up to date on how the pumping in progressing.
Posted By: Lenore Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/20/07 06:51 AM
I'm so pleased you decided to pump. You're going to feel wonderful when those bottles start to fill up. About the weight gain, try to increase proteins and decrease carbs, that seems to help. It's probably the dom that's making you hungry because it moves food through your systen faster than usual which is what it was originally designed to do.

Best, Lenore
Posted By: mamapersoff Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/20/07 07:45 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! I am doing the Jenny Craig diet at 1200 calories per day, and working out 3-5 times a week.

I do have a question about building supply. I am taking 90mg of Dom per day, and taking prenatal vitamins. Yesterday I got about 1/2oz (and bought a freezer to fill, LOL!). Today it is less - only a few drops. Is this normal? I ate steel-cut oatmeal for breakfast, and plan to every morning. What should I expect in the building of a supply? I plan to pump 4 times a day.
Posted By: Lenore Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/21/07 05:41 AM
The more you pump the more milk you can expect to make. We recommend a minimum of 8 pumping sessions in a 24 hour period for 20-30 min each session.

Careful to avoid anything containing sage or parsley and avoid raspberry leaf stuff. These are milk supply decreasers.

Best, Lenore
Posted By: mamapersoff Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/21/07 05:43 PM
Since I have two kids at home, I decided to just pump 4 times a day for now, not getting up in the middle of the night. When we have a baby in sight, I plan to move up to 6-8 times a day in order to be ready to nurse the baby.
How do you manage 8 times a day? Between grocery shopping, working out at the gym, laundry, cooking, taking my 5yo to school and picking him up, taking him to soccer practice twice a week and just breathing, I don't know how I'm going to do it! Do you use the Whisper wear pump, or something else so you can be mobile? That was the reason I stopped trying to just relactate last year after my toddler weaned - my boys typically demanded my attention most when I was pumping.
Posted By: mamapersoff Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/23/07 06:10 PM
Progress report...
I'm pumping 4 times a day, and today, after the 2nd pump, I already have over 1oz! I get my best yield on the morning pump, and then it takes all three of the other pumping sessions to equal what I got in just the morning one.
I can't believe how much my supply is increasing! I'm only taking dom, haven't even started taking Fenugreek or any other herbs yet. Now I've probably jinxed myself, LOL!
Posted By: Lalle Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/23/07 06:38 PM
How long are you pumping? Do you pump right before you go to bed too? I would suggest that since you are only doing 4 pumps per day. Overnight is a long time to go without pumping. I would pump right before bed, first thing in the morning and shoot for 3 other pumpings during the day. That is of course until you have a baby in sight then step it up to every 3 hours minimum and once in the night.
Posted By: mamapersoff Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/23/07 11:46 PM
Yes, I pump right before going to bed, and when I get up in the morning, plus twice during the day. So far today (3 pumps) I have about 1 1/2 oz. I pump 30 mins each time.
Posted By: Lalle Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/24/07 12:37 AM
If possible you can cut your time down to 15-20 minutes and add in another pumping session. An ounce and a half already is great!
Posted By: mamapersoff Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/24/07 03:48 AM
I was thinking about reducing the time. I seem to get just about all I'm going to get in 15-20 mins anyway, then hand express. Today I got exactly 2oz! After just 5 days of pumping :0) I'm so excited, I show off the milksicles to dh every night when he comes home. He couldn't believe what a boost I've had in the last two days.
Posted By: Lalle Re: Stopped the protocol - 04/24/07 04:47 AM
That is great!!! Your plan sounds like a good one.
© Ask Lenore Forums