home
Posted By: Sandra Encouragement Needed - 04/08/03 08:36 PM
I am on about day #16 of pumping and I am getting a little discourged. I need to hear some good, encouraging feedback. I have been stuck at 1 1/2 ounces per day for about 3 days and am wondering if it'll ever increase! Doesn't this seem like a small amount after 16 days of pumping? I have been taking my herbs and domperidone per protocol, drinking tons of water, eating oatmeal every other day and pumping approximately 9 times daily for about 10 minutes per time! Thanks for the feedback! Sandra
Posted By: Lenore Re: Encouragement Needed - 04/09/03 05:14 AM
Hi Sandra,

Which pump are you using? Fondly,
Posted By: Sandra Re: Encouragement Needed - 04/09/03 11:28 AM
I am using the hospital grade double Medela Classic pump. Sandra
Posted By: Lenore Re: Encouragement Needed - 04/09/03 01:25 PM
Hi Sandra,

It sounds like you're doing everything you should and that you're doing very well for 16 days!! I would suggest that you pump a little longer...at least 2 minutes past the last drops. Have a look here for the pumping instructions:
http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/pumping_instructions.html

When you say you're drinking tons of water, it's important not too drink more than about 6-8 glasses per day. If you drink to thirst meaning drink when you're thirsty, it comes out to about this much in a day. Too much water can actually work against you so try not to exceed 64 oz in a day.

Keep up the good work, you should see an increase very soon.

Fondly,
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Encouragement Needed - 04/09/03 11:05 PM
Hello,
Also, remember some women don't respond that well to a pump,,,once the baby starts nursing ,
it is a much more effective stimulator than the pump. You are doing great, don't get discouraged,,,all of the
sudden when you least expect it your supply will go up and up...take care, Cathy
Posted By: Nona Re: Encouragement Needed - 04/10/03 12:28 AM
Your not alone. I am at about a month of pumping. .and I am only pumping 3 ounces a day. And I was on the protocol for 5 1/2 months. We just may be low producers.
© Ask Lenore Forums