home
Posted By: JenniferRock LactAid slow flow - 05/12/12 12:49 PM
Hello all,
I'm new to the forums but oh so glad I found them! So we got our son on April 19th after he'd been with a foster mom and bottle fed for 11 days. I started the natural route to producing milk with herbs and pumping. I've now decided I'd like todo the accelerated protocol and have the Dom but am having trouble finding a gyn who will prescribe birth control for the protocol. frustrating! I have an appointment next week with doctor #3. I've been using the LactAid with formula since the day we got him. My LC has been very helpful in that regard and with a nipple shield he will latch for a period of time. After 10-15 minutes he seems to get frustrated and stop. I'm assuming this is because he's getting formula so slowly. He gets 1/2 to 3/4 oz in 15 minutes max. So I've been finishing with a bottle. I'm hoping if I can produce some breast milk in a month or two that he will stay on the breast longer. In the meantime I don't want him to keep associating frustration with the breast so am planning to keep him nursing for a bit each time and then finishing with bottle.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks!
Jennifer
Posted By: jenmarko Re: LactAid slow flow - 05/12/12 03:36 PM
That sounds like a good plan. When I was building supply, I nursed first and then bottle fed and pumped. I did not have luck with the lactaid, but didn't really need it because my supply increased pretty quickly (I was on the protocol while we were waiting to be matched).

I think you can get the bcp's from inhousepharmacy.biz too (I never did but I thought that was the case).
Jennifer
Posted By: jenmarko Re: LactAid slow flow - 05/12/12 03:37 PM
Remember, everything gets easier as he gets to be stronger. He will be able to suck stronger and eat faster.
Jennifer
Posted By: Linda Re: LactAid slow flow - 05/13/12 09:16 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if you filter your formula before putting it through the lact aid? I found several times that the tube was blocked if my DD wasn't getting enough milk. Someone suggested that I filter the milk through a wet paper towel first, then through the lact aid filter. I found that alleviated almost all the issues. Every once in a while, I would give a test suck on the tube to make sure it was clear.

I would try and use the lact aid as much as possible instead of the bottle. The later is easier and can be preferred in a very short period of time for a NB

Posted By: JenniferRock Re: LactAid slow flow - 05/17/12 11:32 AM
I did filter for a couple weeks but the filter would clog up before I used it for even half a bag. I also tried filtering with a paper towel but that didn't work. So i'mnow not filtering. Any tips on cleaning the filter out?

Jennifer - Yasmin is available through inhouse. Thank goodness! I'm also trying yet another obgyn today. Thanks for the advice! This is the only place I can find it right now.

Jennifer
Posted By: JenniferRock Re: LactAid slow flow - 05/17/12 06:55 PM
My boy is on Alimentum which my obgyn said doesn't mix very well no matter how much you try. This might be part of the problem. Starting accelerated protocol today!
© Ask Lenore Forums