home
Posted By: yohopi Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 05/20/04 03:40 PM
I am using the surgical menopause protocol to induce lactation. What would be the ideal choice for a pump?

I have smaller and "softer" nipples than most women.

Does the Stronger suction of a Medela Lactina guarantee better results than something like the Pump in Style?

Thanks!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 05/20/04 07:56 PM
Hi there, N!

Glad to see you here....these women are fantastic and a wealth of information! I will lte them tell you what they think, and you knwo that I used the PIS and had a good result.

Nona, are there any benefits to some of the other Medela pumps? Is anyone here NOT using the PIS?

Eden
Posted By: Lalle Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 05/20/04 09:20 PM
Before I went on the protocol I was using herbs and Dom only and pumping in between nursing. I was using the Lactina (rented) and not having very good results. When I went on the protocol I bought a PIS and I highly recommend it. I had fantastic results with it. I didn't do the menopause protocol but I have older breasts which are softer than when I nursed in my 20's I think the Pump In Style will work great for you.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 05/20/04 10:57 PM
I have a question as well. I just bought my PIS today. But noticed that there is the PIS original and advanced. I bought the original. Is that right?
Julie
Posted By: Nona Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 05/20/04 11:06 PM
The Lactinas cannot cycle as fast as the PIS. You will get better results from the PIS. The Lactinas can't go as fast on speed and do not have the 5 speed suction. They have only 3. The difference in the PIS and the PIS Advanced is the advanced has a mode where it will go faster to imitate what a baby would do in the beginning of nursing. Then it slows down to a slower pace. The PIS is the best pump I have ever used. And I have tried all of them except the Wisper Wear. And I do not hear good things about it.
Posted By: yohopi Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 05/21/04 02:17 AM
Thanks Eden, Laurie, Nona and Anonymous!

Nona, would you recommend the additional functionality of the PIS advanced over the PIS original.

I gather that the PIS advanced needs a higher batter poer, 10 batteries instead of 8. Is is because of more electric wattage, or is it just a different design?
Posted By: Nona Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 05/21/04 02:39 AM
Not really. You can turn the pump up on the PIS original the same way. Then turn it down a notch or 2 after a few minutes
Posted By: yohopi Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 05/21/04 03:01 AM
Thanks Nona,

Upon looking for the PIS on the internet, I find that the PIS advanced is about $50 cheaper than the PIS. So I might go for the PIS advanced.

Do you think the PIS advanced is the same as the PIS except for that one additional feature?
Posted By: jewelewis Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 05/21/04 05:13 AM
Really? I have found the advance more expensive then the original. I bought mine today on ebay. I decided to buy it new on ebay instead of used. I talked my dh into letting me buy one. He wanted me to try a smaller (cheaper) one. I got it from a friend. I took one look and said NO WAY that is not going to work. So I bought it today. I cant wait to use it.
Posted By: yohopi Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 05/21/04 07:18 PM
Look at:

http://www.breast-pumps.org/medela-pump-in-style-advanced.asp?agent_camp=1392001
Posted By: Nona Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 05/21/04 07:28 PM
oh no you read it wrong. .Look here the original PIS is 209.00
the advanced it shoulder style is 259.00
http://www.breast-pumps.org/breastpumps.asp
Posted By: yohopi Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 05/24/04 12:15 AM
I went into a store today to check both models. It turns out that the PIS Advance has a "preset mode" that takes away your control to a certain extent.

There was only one dial control for speed. In the PIS original, there are two dial controls: one for speed and the other for vacuum.

Nona, is this an important feature that I will miss in spite of paying a higher price for the PIS advance?
Posted By: Nona Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 05/24/04 04:49 AM
yes I believe you would. With the Original.. you can set both the speed and suction to what your body responds best with. Thats the control you would want
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 07/16/04 03:30 AM
THe website for PIS Advanced says "adjustable vacuum and speed controls." Did you say that in the store you saw that it didn't have adjustable vacuum control?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Need Help in selecting a Breast Pump - 07/16/04 12:41 PM
Thats right. There is only one dial in the advanced, and two in the original.
© Ask Lenore Forums