Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4919 12/07/04 08:38 PM
K
Kalli Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I got on the Yasmin in August and began the dom on Sept. 1. I probably will not get a baby until after the first of the year so I am obviously not nursing/pumping anything yet. Is it okay for me to drink alcohol occasionally while I am not pumping/nursing? Meaning, could alcohol possibly interfere with breast development, the drugs or the protocol? Also, is the water intake and the oatmeal as imperitive for me right now or just when I begin to nurse/pump?

Thanks,
Kalli

L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Here's my two cents:

I think oatmeal starts after you start pumping. I suggest you stay well-hydrated the whole time but just as your body thirsts. I myself have to pay attention to how much because I don't seem to get too naturally thirsty and I feel much better when I'm drinking more water. And I would work on cutting back the alcohol already. It's easier to pare down over time if you, say, have a glass of wine per day than to stop that habit cold turkey.

Good luck,

Last edited by LoveyDovey; 12/09/04 01:53 AM.

LD
K
Kalli Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Oh, I didn't mean to mislead. I might have a drink per month. So I am not worried about "stopping cold turkey" as far as a physical concern for myself...more that I wondered if it affected the efficacy of the protocol. I am like you in that I am not normally a thirsty person. I will have to remind myself to drink more. Thanks for the advice!

Kalli

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Kalli,

Alcohol in moderation should not interfere with the protocols or breastfeeding. Most mothers start the oatmeal and increase their water intake (about 6-8 glasses per day, but don't drown yourself) when they begin to build their milk supply. So basically, you do the Yasmin/domperidone protocol until about 4-6 weeks before your baby is due to arrive and then you stop the birth control pill, maintain the domperidone, add the herbs and start pumping every 2-3 hours by day with a double electric breastpump. Most of the moms have used a Medela Pump in Style.

The complete guide to the protocols may be viewed and printed from here: http://www.asklenore.com/breastfeeding/print/induced_lactation/protocols4print.html

Hope this helps.

Warmest regards,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.