Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#633 01/23/03 01:57 PM
Boston
valerie Offline OP
OP Offline
Boston
Does anyone have an explanation for this pattern: six month old baby is fussy. Baby is put to breast. Baby latches on. Baby sucks for a couple of minutes. Baby screams. Baby is carried around for a while, baby is put to breast, baby screams, baby is carried around, put to breast and nurses well. Teething? Frustration at slow letdown? Not hungry?

Valerie

Valerie co-mothering Perry and Jocelyn, born 7/21/02
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Valerie,

Well. It seems your little one has quite the personality!!

If your baby was constantly screaming at the breast without latching I would wonder. But since she latches after a few moments I think she's rather impatient to receive her milk. My adivice to you is to do what a lot of mothers do in this case and that is to hand express a little milk to ensure your let down response prior to feeding your baby. Also, look for early hunger cues. Don't wait for your baby to cry. Try to anticipate when your baby needs her next feeding. It's a lot easier to curb their frustration when they are not yet all fired up and desperate for something to eat NOW.

Another thing you can do is breast compressions to assist milk flow. You can find instructions on how to do this here: http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/breast_compression.html

Try this and let me know. Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.