photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8903 05/19/07 02:51 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I am producing a full supply for baby Larissa!
She is 3 weeks old today, and I stopped supplementing her at the beginning of this week. The thing that got us over the supply hurtle was a tip by a friend of mine in grad school studying to be a nurse practictioner; what ever time of day is your lowest supply time (for me it was the evening), think about the meal you eat about 12 hours earlier, and how much protein you ate. Increase the protein in that meal to at least 20g of protein, and you should see an immediate increase. I tried it, and sure enough - great supply! It doesn't have to be red meat, it can be any kind of protein, like eggs, protein drinks, chicken, turkey, etc. I drink a protein drink at breakfast now, and I am so thrilled Larissa isn't fussy at the breast in the evenings now. I'm also doing breast compressions while she nurses to make sure she gets plenty of nice, rich hind milk. She's already above her birth weight.
We're settling into our routine, and she is such a delight!
Hope you all are doing well too!

--Irma, mama to two princes, 5 and 3, and our brand new daughter, Larissa!
mamapersoff #8904 05/19/07 04:44 AM
A
A
That's a great tip Irma. I will work on the protein for breakfast too--at least 20 grams. Thanks to your friend.
It must feel great having a full supply. I can remember what it was like with my biological son, the spontaneity with breastfeeding, the easy night feeding...
For my adopted daughter now 2.5 months, I am still working on my supply, using the Lactaid at all feedings, doing dom and herbs right now but thinking about trying the accelerated protocol.

Aloemama #8905 05/19/07 08:41 PM
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
Wow! That is awesome! Keep up the good work! I like the protien tip to. Makes sense.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.