Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12034 11/05/08 03:56 PM
A
amyff Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have been off BCP and pumping for a week and I am only getting 1/4 ounce combined at each session. I have a PIS and it just gets me drops and I always stop after 3 minutes or so but when I unhook...I hand express I get big sprays. I have always been a poor pumper...but I am getting nervous as our Birthmother is set to deliver this upcoming Tuesday.
I am taking herbs and domp (3 of each, 3 times a day). Pumping every 3 hours...
What else can I do? I bought an SNS...should I get a lact-aid, too. Are there instructions on how to make a homemade device somewhere?
Thanks for the support!
Amy

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
Amy,
It sounds like you are doing great for only pumping a week. Just keep it up. I would pump for 20 minutes each time and then hand express after. I don't have any advice about the Lactaid because I had a hard time with it so I just supplemented with bottles. If you can make it work, it is supposed to be great. Remember that the baby will be better at draining the breast.
Jennifer

Idaho
Idaho
Amy are you really stopping after 3 minutes or is that a typo? You should be pumping for 10 stopping to massage and jiggle then pump for 10 more. You can still hand express after. What are you getting total for the day? How often are you pumping?

Making a supplemental device you use a regular baby bottle with the regular nipple. You also need #5 french tubing which I understand you can get through a medical supply. Open the hole slightly by poking something through it, don't make it too big. Turn the nipple upside down and thread the tubing through it. place upside down in the bottle and screw the ring on it tightly. When you nurse you will need the bottle level with or lower than your breast so it isn't gravity causing the flow.

You can see it used here http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/lact_aid.html although they show it with the nipple in the normal position so I guess you can do it either way. I turned it over but I used the top of my lact-aid and the bottle was just a replacement for the bag.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
A
amyff Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Lalle
Amy are you really stopping after 3 minutes or is that a typo? You should be pumping for 10 stopping to massage and jiggle then pump for 10 more. You can still hand express after. What are you getting total for the day? How often are you pumping?

Sorry...I meant that I stop producing drips after 3 minutes. I will pump for 10 minutes total but it is "pumping dry" for 7 minutes. After I unhook from the pump...I hand express and get sprays and some drops until I feel more dry.
I try to pump every 3 hours (I have a 3 and 5 year old...and I am always transporting someone somewhere).
I get about an ounce...total...a day.

So, I should be pumping (even if it isn't producing) for 20 minutes a session?

Idaho
Idaho
yes you should be pumping for 20 minutes if possible. The stimulation is doing something even if you aren't seeing the milk come out. An ounce a day is not bad at this point. The great news is there is milk there!!!! Baby will be more efficient at getting it out. Just hang in there!!

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Idaho
Idaho
Also have you watched or read the info on Breast Compression? Sometimes I had to adjust my nipple in the horn, I also sort of massaged and jiggled bent over before starting to pump.

Arizona
D
D
Arizona
Amy~ I could have written your post. I am at the exact stage you are. I pump and pump and my supply does not seem to increase. It's only been 20 days since I started pumping and I am thrilled about my supply so far but wondered when I might see an increase. I take 3 Fenugreek & 3 Blessed Thistle 3 times per day and only notice the syrupy smell occasionally. I also take 3 Dom 4 x per day. Should I be increasing my herbs? I watched the video on compression and have to admit that it is difficult to compress with a pump on you since it breaks suction. Am I doing it wrong or maybe I need to do it higher up? Any advice would be welcomed~

Idaho
Idaho
Danielle it is a little more difficult to compress with a pump but you do need to be higher up. I wouldn't increase the herbs or Dom. Just keep pumping and hang in there. Your breasts are producing milk and it will increase, especially after you have baby at breast. Right now you just have the process going and the key is to keep it going until baby gets here.

A
amyff Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Danielle
I watched the video on compression and have to admit that it is difficult to compress with a pump on you since it breaks suction. Am I doing it wrong or maybe I need to do it higher up? Any advice would be welcomed~

Yep...me too! I am so "flat chested" that there is very little boob to compress that is not covered by a horn. There is not much to jiggle or shake. In fact when I sit straight up or recline a bit to pump...I have to lean forward or the milk just collects in the horn.
When I nursed my two daughters (biological)...I rarely leaked or had a huge let-down tingle sensation. Before pumping, I feel a little full and tingly and I do really well for about three minutes and get a steady stream (sprays now) but I just pitter out after about 3 minutes. I always read or watch tv...
After I stop pumping...I always had express and I get sprays even after I have been "pumping dry" for 10 minutes. I am wondering if the PIS horns are just not the best for my equipment?
Amy

A
amyff Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Good luck, Danielle! It is nice to hear from someone who is in the same position that I am smile!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.