photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rach Offline OP
OP Offline
R
We just got matched with a birthmother who is due in 2-3 weeks a week ago. I immediately contacted a lactation consultant who told me to start taking fenugreek/blessed thistle and start pumping. I have been doing that for about a week. I just ordered domperidone today. When I get the domperidone, do I continue with the herbs and dom and pumping together? Baby and dom will be here within a week of each other. I am still in process of getting a Rx for Yasmin from OB. If I get that first, do I start taking now or wait until domperidone arrives? Do I go per protocol and stop taking herbs even if baby is here? So many questions... so little time!!
Thank you in advance for easing the confusion! smile

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
The best chance for a "full" supply is doing the protocol which includes being on the bcp and the dom for at least a month together. Then you start pumping. You can start feeding the baby with a supplementer right away, you just can't pump. If you do this then stop the herbs and the pumping. Start on the Yasmin and dom as soon as it arrives. Take it for at least a month and make sure you have breast changes. Then stop the bcp's and continue on the dom and add in the herbs and start pumping.

Or you can just skip the bcp's and just start taking the domperidone and feeding and pumping when you can. Either way you will need a supplementer. Most people recommend the lactaid. Good luck.
Jennifer

Idaho
Idaho
Originally Posted By: jenmarko

Or you can just skip the bcp's and just start taking the domperidone and feeding and pumping when you can. Either way you will need a supplementer. Most people recommend the lactaid. Good luck.
Jennifer

I did this except herbs first nursing with a supplementer hoping my milk would come in. I added other herbs and eventually Dom using a supplementer. I did end up producing about a third of my daughters needs and I could nurse without the supplementer first thing in the morning. I also tried pumping as well to make more milk somewhere in there. I finally went on the accelerated protocol and after that I didn't need the supplementer anymore. My daughter was a bit older by that time and taking solids but still nursing 6+ times a day.

So all that said if I were in your situation I would get the dom and the yasmin and stop pumping and taking herbs. Do the accelerated protocol now and when your baby arrives continue the protocol while nursing with a supplementer. Once you finish the protocol you add the herbs still nursing your baby and you can pump after feeds for further stimulation.
Use your LC to help with latching and using a lact-aid. I would print off a copy of the accelerated protocol and let her know what you are doing so she can support you. She may tell you it is not necessary but trust me there are thousands of women who have followed this protocol and will give testimony that it is by far the best way to bring in a good supply.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
R
Rach Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you to both of you. I will stop the herbs and pumping and wait until the dom arrives. Hopefully it will get here before we have to travel for baby! Will then start accelerated protocol.
Thanks for all the advice!!! smile
Wish me luck smile

R
R
I had nothing in place when I adopted my daughter. I got the supplemental nursing system from Medela online last time but this time I got it for free from my lactation consultant. My medical insurance covered all but $40 of an expensive double breast pump from medical supply store. It took about a month of nursing with the sns and taking the dom for the first steamy drops of milk to show up in the pump. It's very exciting. It definitely is worth the bonding, no matter what happens with the milk.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.