Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BC, Canada
mamat Offline OP
OP Offline
BC, Canada
Baby is coming any day now. I am at about 9 ounces a day, pumping 7 from one side, 2 from the other. I have the lactaid ready to go but how do I know if I should and when I should be using it??? I am so worried that I will use it when I dont need to or should be when I am not. I was thinking that maybe it should be only used on my lesser producing side, so every second feeding? I wish I knew what to expect! I thought it was easy but now I am getting so worried about it all!

T

mama to 3 beautiful adopted kiddos-Alexa (8), Angie(5), Jaxon (5) and hoping to bf our 4th little one...due March 2010!
H
H
My guess is you will need to use it every time since you are producing 9 ounces per day (combo between breasts) and the baby will consume more then that in a day. That being said I'd use it on the lower producing side for sure. You might end up having to use it on the higher producing side towards the end of the day if the baby still needs more milk.

Last edited by hvnsnt; 02/20/10 07:10 PM.
S
experienced member
experienced member
S
After my bioson was born I could only pump 2 ounces at a time, but he grew up just fine. Point is, you don't know how much milk you'll make once you have the baby at the breast. I am sure it will be more than 9 ounces a day.

When will you start nursing the baby? What does emom think?

If you're nursing starting day 1, I wouldn't use the lactaid at all. Their tummies are so tiny, size of marble, that you'll have plenty of milk. If emom wants to nurse or wants you to wait a few days to start, you may need to use the lactaid. However, I wouldn't use it the first few times you put the baby at breast. I was an experienced nursing mom (tandem nurse my bioson and a daughter) and it took a bit to learn the lactaid.

Also, if one breast doesn't make enough milk for a feed, give the baby both breasts at the feeding. No sense supplementing when there's a perfectly good breast just sitting there.

Remember to pump after, or between, feeds. And congratulations. Hope all goes well.

BC, Canada
mamat Offline OP
OP Offline
BC, Canada
Thanks second! I am so worried about using the lactaid. I will be getting to her after about 5-7 days. I cant be there any earlier, because we are adopting a US born baby and we are canadian so we cant get her until after an emergency court hearing , approximately 5-10 days after the birth. I will hopefully start right away but I guess if I have to, I will use a bottle until she adjusts.
I was wondering about pumping in between. So right after she eats, then pump both sides?

mama to 3 beautiful adopted kiddos-Alexa (8), Angie(5), Jaxon (5) and hoping to bf our 4th little one...due March 2010!
BC, Canada
mamat Offline OP
OP Offline
BC, Canada
Thanks second! I am so worried about using the lactaid. I will be getting to her after about 5-7 days. I cant be there any earlier, because we are adopting a US born baby and we are canadian so we cant get her until after an emergency court hearing , approximately 5-10 days after the birth. I will hopefully start right away but I guess if I have to, I will use a bottle until she adjusts.
I was wondering about pumping in between. So right after she eats, then pump both sides?

S
experienced member
experienced member
S
Yes, nurse both sides, pump both sides. Although I've heard lactation consultants say you should pump right after nursing for 20 minutes, another told me research is showing it's not the length of nursing that increases milk supply, but the frequency. So it might make more sense to pump half an hour to an hour after nursing.

H
H
How are you doing? Do you have your LO yet?

NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
experienced member
experienced member
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
I can confirm what you heard from your LC about it being the frequency of the BFing not the length of each feeding. Of course the breasts need to be emptied as much as possible at each feeding. I lean toward the pumping one hour aftr feedings opinion and offering both breasts at each feeding. Also, you might consider hand expressing after aby is done eating just in case the baby is NOT emptying the breast due to being a new born.

I think if it were me I would not use the lactaid at first, and take the baby in for weight checks every 2 or 3 days to make sure baby is getting enough. If not gaining enough wt then I'd start the lactaid.

Do you have the baby yet??

**Jenny**
AP to Helina, home from Ethiopia at 10 months old in Feb 2010
BC, Canada
mamat Offline OP
OP Offline
BC, Canada
Still here waiting!!!!!!!!! Grr. Doc figured she was for sure coming any day....2 weeks ago! Oh well, still 9 days from due date. We are due to fly next wed and arrive thurs but will change our flights if she isnt born before monday, as we have to wait about a week before we can even pick her up.

I like the idea of not using the lactaid at first but I know that I only get about 10 ounces of milk a day. That is not enough to feed a newborn.

Thanks for all the tips. I am still nervous though!

Jenny, how are things going for you? are you home with baby now? Is she taking to you breastfeeding yet?

BC, Canada
mamat Offline OP
OP Offline
BC, Canada
Emom is in labour! Baby #4 so should be fast. How am I supposed to go to work now?????????

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.