Print Thread
#13728 08/09/10 03:54 PM
S
Second Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
S
My adopted daughter will be 2 tomorrow. She has been exclusively breastfed since 6 hours of age. Mainly my milk, though for a short while I used a bit of donor milk. Since she turned a year I give her some cow's milk in the supplementer at bedtime and naptime. A month or two ago she started sleeping through the night. My milk supply definitely decreased. Lately she's been waking up at night again and I haven't had enough milk for her so have had to rely on the supplementer at night (a pain in the neck to have my husband get it and me try and stay awake to put it in the fridge when she's back asleep.) During the last couple weeks she's gone from taking an ounce or so at bed/naptime to as much as 3 or even 4 ounces. (That all started when I missed my afternoon of domperidone 2 days in a row.)

Pretty soon I will run out of domperidone. Given its cost I'm not going to buy any more. I fear that my milk supply will really dry up then. (I'll stay on More Milk Special Blend as long as she's nursing.)

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any BTDT experience on how to wean her off the supplementer. If I need to I'll keep her on it for the next year or two, but I'd love to be done with it and just nurse her--especially when she wakes up in the middle of the night.

Last edited by Second; 08/09/10 05:55 PM.
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
experienced member
experienced member
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
I never used the supplementer, BUT my daughter started sleeping through the night (10-12 hours) around 13 months of age as soon as she was getting enough calories from her solid foods during the day. Once she was eating really well she didn't need to wake for a feeding anymore. She settled into a pattern of
8am breakfast
10am snack
12pm lunch
3pm snack
5pm snack
7pm dinner

She also gets about 18 oz of expressed breast milk per day and her only other fluid is water. HTH Jenny

**Jenny**
AP to Helina, home from Ethiopia at 10 months old in Feb 2010
S
Second Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
S
Thanks for the thoughts. She eats fine throughout the day. I'm just trying to figure out how to cut back the milk she takes through the supplementer at sleep times. She nurses just fine without it during the day, but relies on that extra milk to fall asleep.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.