Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14816 08/06/12 07:05 PM
C
Cutie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi everyone, I did the regular protocol last time and completely breastfed our now 16month old son. We are getting ready to do it all over again and I have a question. I used yasmin last time and got excellent results. I exclusively breastfed baby from birth until 5months before doing breastfeeding/solids, I didn't even have to use the lact-aid. Last time Lenore said they now prefer to use Ortho-Novum because it gives better results. So my question is should I stick with the tried and successful yasmin or should I do the ortho? If it is because of the results, I will still do yasmin but I don't know if they are doing the ortho because of heath benefits. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cutie

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I did the Yasmin both times because I had good success with it the first time, even though they were recommending the ortho. I would bet you would have good luck with either, but I would probably stick with what you know.
Good luck as you wait!
Jennifer

C
Cutie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks Jen, I think would be doing the Yasmin again since it is what I used before. How are you doing: so good to hear from you

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
We are doing well. Our youngest is now 2 years old and weaned at 20 months. I think our family is complete.
Jennifer

TX
J
J
TX
Lenore told me they are not recommending the Yasmin anymore because it increases your risk of blood clots. My ObGyn said the same thing. You might want to look that up. Good luck!

Mom to baby boy born April 8th and placed April 19th. Finally got the nursing going, even without a supplementer at times!
Cutie #14821 08/12/12 11:39 PM
A
asm Offline
A
Adopting and waiting. I have been taking the over 35 meds for 9 months now and am planning on stopping progesterone this week. How soon after initiation of pumping should I expect my milk supply to pick up - I did a trial pump yesterday and pumped 5 mL.

asm #14822 08/13/12 06:24 AM
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
It will generally build slowly. It does not "come in" like it does when you give birth. Don't pump until you stop the progesterone, because it defeats the purpose.
Do you have any idea of when a match might come? I could not pump indefinitely. I stayed on the protocol until we were matched (one time that came as a stork drop). I was on it for 9 months the first time and 11 months the second time.
Good luck!
Jennifer

A
asm Offline
A
it should be soon... we have had 2 failed adoptions April and May. I am miserable on the progesterone now. Just want my body back. We have been paper pregnant for almost a year and that is generally the longest the wait with our agency. I just wanted to know if I should be discouraged I stopped progesterone last night and have pumped 3 more times - just drops of milk.

How much did you have to supplement with the "drop" - given our failed adoptions that was my first plan is just to stop the progesterone when baby came home. I nursed my biological son exclusively for 13 months. I don't want my life to become nothing but pumping - as I feel like it has been nothing but consumed with our adoption for the past few months.
Thanks so much!

asm #14825 08/14/12 03:26 PM
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I would say just drops at first is very normal. With our drop, I just pumped and supplemented for the first week. I tried to breastfeed maybe once a day, but mostly just concentrated on pumping. By the end of that week I was making about 1 oz each time I pumped (about 6 times a day). Then once we were home (at one week) I started bf first and then supplementing and pumping after. I did that for another week and was probably making 9-12 oz (hard to say because I was bf first) and then just took a leap and stopped supplementing. My baby was tiny (5lbs 12oz) so it was easier to catch up to her needs. She was ebf after that until 18 months. I think my supply increased quicker because we had the baby with us. When I pumped for our second daughter while we were matched, I didn't get any milk for 5 days. I had to look at pictures of my other babies while pumping to trigger my supply.
Good luck!
Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.