photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
k8cl8n Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I followed the regular protocols 2 years ago when I induced lactation for my adopted daughter, Mia. It worked like a charm and I had a full supply for her. We knew at that time that we were going to adopt again. I thought instead of doing the whole protocol again, I would just keep my milk supply going. I nursed Mia once a day until earlier this year. After that I pumped to continue to keep the milk coming. I would sometimes go 2-3 days between pumping. But I was still getting several ounces of milk each time. As the time has neared for us to go get our son in Taiwan, on September 20 I started pumping seriously (8X a day). I was getting 1-2 oz a day total when I started 20 days ago. Now I'm getting 3-4 oz a day. I honestly thought it would only take a couple of weeks of pumping like this for my supply to reach what I needed. However, it has been VERY slow going. We will probably be leaving in about 2 weeks to get our 6 month old son. Here are my questions--should I STOP the pumping and do your accelerated protocol? If I do that, can I nurse him once we get there? Even if I'm only 2 weeks into the protocol and still taking the birth control pills?

And do you have any suggestions? I've had 2 bio children and successfully nursed my adopted daughter. I really wanted to nurse my adopted son too.

Thanks, everyone!!

TX
J
J
TX
Maybe email Lenore directly? I would imagine a baby would help increase your supply. FYI I did accelerated protocol and started nursing my son at 3 months old. 3 months later and I'm only supplementing 4-6 oz a day usually but I have no frozen stash. A Lact Aid can be helpful to supplement while you increase your supply. Half to all of my Lact Aids are filled with breast milk from the 2 extra pumping sessions I do a day. Good luck!

Mom to baby boy born April 8th and placed April 19th. Finally got the nursing going, even without a supplementer at times!
K
k8cl8n Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Jennifer--
Thanks SO much for your response! I have e-mailed Lenore (twice) and haven't heard back from her. So do you recommend stopping pumping and starting the accelerated protocol? My son is 6 months old now.
Thank you!!!

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I heard from Lenore a few months ago and I think she may be ill.

I have e-mailed Dr. Jack Newman before and heard back from him quickly. I'm not sure if the e-mail address is still correct, but here it is: [email protected]

I was in a similar situation to you in that I nursed our first adopted daughter for 18 months and then was trying to decide what to do because we were waiting to adopt again. I ended up deciding to do the protocol again while we waited and am glad I did because we waited another year.

I think I would do the accelerated protocol. You can try nursing him with a lactaid while still on the bcp's. Just don't pump until you stop the bcp's. Then once you stop, continue nursing him and start pumping too.

Good luck!
Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.