photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10092 11/09/07 07:39 PM
OP Offline
My Doctor has recently told me that my infertility may be caused because I'm not ovulating as I should be and he has put me on the generic clomid called fertomid. Has anyone ever been on this medication and how well did it help with successful pregnancy? If I do become pregnant and don't know yet will the Dom have a negative effect on my baby? Is Dom safe to use during pregnancy? I need all the help I can get.. thanks for reading

Married to Steven Mother of Adopted Blessings Tyler 8/04 and Enrique 11/06
Induced lactation since 9/06
OP Offline
Anything will help ladies.. I need feedback =o(

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
I am pretty sure the domperidone is safe during pregnancy Whether or not the other things are contraindicated with it I don't know. I would just ask your doctor. Dom is known as Motillium. He should be able to look it up.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
S
S
I remember reading somewhere not to use domperidone during pregnancy. I read this on the following website with Dr. Jack Newman:
http://www.breastfeedingmums.com/dr_jack_newman_slow_weight_gain.htm

"Sometimes domperidone will increase the milk supply significantly. Do not use it if you are pregnant, however (Handout 19a: Domperidone-1 and Handout 19b: Domperidone-2)."

Also, a note from the manufacturer of Domperidone:
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.

The safety of this medicine during pregnancy has not been established. The manufacturer therefore advises that it should be avoided during pregnancy. Seek medical advice from your doctor.
This medicine passes into breast milk in small amounts. Seek medical advice from your doctor before breastfeeding.

S
S
This is from the Newman-Goldfarb protocols:
http://www.asklenore.info/x/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/protocols4print.html

Contraception and the Protocols
There are several adoptive or intended mothers who are fertile but for whom pregnancy is contraindicated due to medical reasons such as in the case of a "brittle diabetic" mother. If the mother is fertile and does not wish to become pregnant, it is recommended that she use an alternative method of contraception while on the protocols. Please note that oral contraceptives and domperidone are not recommended for use during pregnancy.

OP Offline
Thank you very much. If it's not recommended then I shall not use it. However, I think I will stay on the Dom while on the fertility med's until I get pregnant, just in case. If do not end up pregnant I would hate to have to start over again with the dom and protocols it would set Enrique and I back tremendously. I appreciate the feedback I didn't know where to begin with looking up information. Thank you! =0)

Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Richette,

Most fertility experts will tell you that you may have difficulty becoming pregnant if your prolactin level is above 30. So it's not a good idea to stay on the domperidone while trying to conceive. It is also contraindicated during pregnancy because we do not know if it will effect the developing fetus.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Clomid? Hmmmm you might have more than one! Keep us posted smile

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.