Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I JUST FOUND OUT I HAVE A BALANCED TRANSLOCATION. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MY OPTIONS AND TALK WITH OTHERS EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEMS

extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
You have a what??? Do you mind explaining.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
L
L
Hi!

I'm so sorry to hear this. The news must have shocked you the first time you heard. It doesn't help that the explanation for this condition entails a lot of greek speak. Despite that, please be assured that the condition does not classify you as unhealthy.

I'm assuming that your question is related to infertility and not breastfeeding, right?

As a geneticist, this is my understanding of balanced translocation and infertility. First of all, balanced translocation means you have a complete set of genetic material but some chunks of your genetic material have switched places. This is no problem to you, but when you produce eggs, half of them could end up normal (with balanced translocation also) and the other half abnormal (with unbalanced translocation). So, the chances of having genetically abnormal eggs, embryos and miscarriages are higher than the rest of the population. Statistics say the chance of having a genetically abnormal baby is 10-15% regardless of which parent has the balanced translocation. This figure does not consider abnormal embryos lost through miscarriage.

Having said all that, I believe that IVF coupled with PGD (preimplantation genetic diagnosis) could be one of your best shots for fertility treatment. With IVF-PGD, the embryos that you produce are genetically tested for abnormality before they are implanted into the uterus to spare you the agony of pregnancy loss due to UNbalanced translocation. However, IVF-PGD will not eliminate the incidence of balanced translocation in your babies. In short, you will pass on this condition to them.

There are also other options such as donor eggs and adoption if genetic connection is not as important to you as the parenting experience.

Please note having balanced translocation does not mean you need to have fertility treatments. You could still have normal babies on your own but with higher chances of miscarriage and abnormality (the degree depends on what genes are involved in the translocation).

Well, I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions and clarifications.

Liche

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi,
last month we found out that my husband has a reciprocal balanced translocation of chromosomes 1 and 5. We have an appointment with a G.C in Feb. I hooked up with some different sites with others with the same problem. Some bad news-some good., but always nice to find someone else who's going through it(Amen to that!)just know it's not the end. It may feel like it, but there is always the other side.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.