Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10409 02/04/08 08:15 PM
K
OP Offline
K
This is the second time that I have induced lactation since nursing all of my birth children. The first time, about four years ago, I did a very accelerated protocol and got up to about one ounce per session, never enough to completely nourish my child. We are waiting to be matched again and I've done a much longer protocol. I have been pumping now for a little more than three weeks. I am getting about 3-4 ounces per day (24 hours)and I am wondering about increasing my supply. I'd like to be able to mostly nourish the baby with breastmilk. So here go my 20 (maybe not really) questions:

1. I am pumping about 8 times per day and once at night, should I pump more frequently? longer than 15 minutes? more at night?

2. I am taking the dom, blessed thistle and fenugreek. Is there something else? Should I increase the dosage?

3. I am using a pump in style, about 5 years old. Will a rental pump make any difference? Should I buy a newer pump? (have they really changed that much?)

4. Unrelated to supply, but my nipples are really sore, any suggestions? How long will it take for them to get over it?

OK really not 20 questions at all, but please give me any advise you've got!

Kelly Sue #10410 02/04/08 10:47 PM
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
How much dom, blessed thistle and fenugreek are you taking? Everything sounds good just keep pumping and give it time. If you are getting 4 oz after 8 pumpings a day in just 3 weeks that isn't too bad. Your supply should continue to increase.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Lalle #10411 02/04/08 11:06 PM
K
OP Offline
K
I am taking 20 mgs of the Dom 4x each day, 2 each of the blessed thistle and fenugreek 3x each day along with multi vitamins, iron and fish oil.

I am only getting 3-4 ounces all day not at each session. Is there any way to increase faster? How quickly will my supply increase for the baby if he/she needs more milk? (once I actually get a decent supply)

Kelly Sue #10414 02/05/08 05:26 AM
you need to up your doses on herbs. You need atleast 3 blessed thistle and 3 fenugreek 3 times a day. Also drink atleast 8 glasses of water a day. This is the amount that a person is to drink daily anyway. And I would also pump atleast 20 minutes. You said your nipples are sore? What suction is your pump on. I would not go past medium. High can damage your tissues. At walmart they have Lasholin(?) its fantastic for your nipples. Put it on them before pumping and after it will help so much

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Nona #10415 02/05/08 02:20 PM
Idaho
Idaho
most women get drops the first couple weeks and build from there. so 3-4 ounces in a day is a good start. Nona is right up your herbs and check your pump setting.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Lalle #10416 02/05/08 02:56 PM
E
E
I'm getting 3 oz a day and I've been pumping for 8 weeks frown so I would say you are doing really well!! Keep it up. When baby latches your supply will automatically increase.

ergent7 #10421 02/06/08 03:37 AM
M
M
You are doing great. I don't know how the other women feel but once baby came I upped my dom to 120 mgs per day, 4 fenugreek 3x per day and bt the same. I was able to completely nourish my daughter on my own supply (and the stored breastmilk using lact-aid for the 1st couple months). She is now 1 year old and gets 99% of her nourishment from me, 1% solids...(we're working on that).........YOU CAN DO IT! I, like others here, pumped for almost 2 years waiting for a match...stored 3000 oz, and started just like you! Your progess & pumping schedule is excellent...keep up the good work!

Proud Mama of 2 Homegrown Sons, 7 & 9 yrs and our adopted princess bn 2/07
Proud wife of 11 yrs

mindyfrank #10443 02/11/08 09:37 AM
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi everyone,

I would just add that it's important not to forget to turn the suction all the way down before you shut off your pump at the end of a session. This reduces sore nipples.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Lenore #11039 07/03/08 10:30 AM
H
H
Hmmm !! I am only getting less than 2 oz. per day and I've been pumping for over a month now. But then I am only on the domp. My doctor won't put me on herbs for fear I'd have elevated blood sugar, but I am thinking of taking fenugreek pills anyways.

Does anyone know how much fenugreek I should be on to increase my supply? In mg. if it's possible.

Good luck and thanks for any reply.

Hapi
Hapi #11044 07/04/08 08:14 AM
Canada
L
L
Canada
Dear Hapi,

Your doctor is correct. If you have an issue with blood sugar, fenugreek can affect it. Is there an issue concerning the Ortho 1/35 or Yasmin? Are you estrogen sensitive? If that's the case, then you may wish to ask your doctor for Provera 2.5 which is progesterone alone. That would build the alveoli (milk making cells) and provide you with more milk making capacity. You would still maintain the dom. Kindly discuss with your doctor.

When is your baby due to arrive?

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Lenore #11047 07/04/08 04:55 PM
H
H
Thanks for your reply and for the great place too Lenore.

I am having treatment for a DVT so I cannot be on estrogen. That's why my doctor put me on domp. only. I'm OK with that so far, but I am scared pumping only 2 oz a day won't be enough when baby is here. We're adopting and baby should be with us in Mid September/Early October I think.

I guess I'll have to check with my doctor about progestrone though.

Thanks again for your help.

Hapi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.