Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10924 06/03/08 04:46 AM
New Zealand
OP Offline
New Zealand
We are now 2 weeks away from D-day, and it has got me thinking more about how to handle the pumping/feeding once she arrives. What has worked for others once they started feeding?

Did you pump after each feed?

How long did you pump for?

How will I know when I don't need to pump anymore?

Many thanks.

Bernice from New Zealand
Married to the Lovely Mark
TS baby due in June

New Zealand
OP Offline
New Zealand
Just bumping this up incase someone has some sage advice for me. Many thanks.

Bernice from New Zealand
TS baby due in June

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Bernice I would just nurse her and if you feel like it after pump but don't stress yourself out trying to fit in pumpings just enjoy your baby and if she is nursing often that should do just fine for your supply.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Lalle #10947 06/06/08 02:23 AM
New Zealand
OP Offline
New Zealand
Thanks Laurie. I have a friend who pumped religiously after each feed to keep volumes up, but it sounded quite a stressful excercise and I was a bit concerned that it would take something away from the sheer joy of feeding... if you know what I mean. Your advice is appreciated.

Bernice from New Zealand
TS baby due in June

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Bernice,
I pumped after most feeds until I got to a full supply (about 2-3 weeks). Then I continued to pump after the night feeds and the first morning feeds for a few months. I was able to build a freezer stash this way and it helped me increase my supply. I slowly dropped out pumping sessions and now at 5 months, I don't pump after feeds at all.
Good luck.
Jennifer

New Zealand
OP Offline
New Zealand
Thanks Jennifer. Sounds like it worked really well for you.

Bernice from New Zealand
TS baby due in June

K
KKB Offline
K
I was wondering this as well -
We're being induced on Tuesday (can't believe she's almost here!) and I'm pumping about 9oz per day right now. I find that all my milk production happens in the first 10 min. (I get about an oz per side in that time) and then nothing for the next 10 min. Does that mean I should feed on one side for 10-15 min and then switch to the other side?

thanks in advance -

KKB #10962 06/07/08 04:35 AM
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I would feed on each side as long as the baby wants to at first. Most of the time our feeds took 40-50 minutes in the first weeks. They are not very efficient in those first weeks.
Jennifer

Idaho
Idaho
KKB you want to make sure baby gets the hind milk so letting them nurse as long as possible is good. I would nurse on the first side until baby is satisfied then switch sides burping and changing diaper in between letting baby nurse until satisfied on that side.
Forget the time, don't limit how much baby can nurse and you will be fine. When nursing you will have more than one letdown.
BTW you are doing awesome with your milk production. Way to go!!!

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Lalle #10965 06/07/08 05:15 PM
K
KKB Offline
K
Thanks Jennifer & Laurie -

Should I also pump after I'm done nursing? Every time?
Bernice - how's the production going?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.