Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Second Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
S
We got "the" call Aug. 10 about a just born baby. I started nursing her at 6 hours of age. She did great. No sore nipples here!

She was up to birth weight before 2 weeks (when they want them to have regained birthweight.) She has gained 9 ounces in the last 6 days. (4 to 8 a week is desired.)

I only supplement one or two ounces of frozen milk a day.

I am tandem nursing my 32 month bio-son.

It would seem all is well, but I know someone who was not able to make a full supply of milk for her adopted babies and she keeps being a Debbie Downer. I get so upset after I talk with her.

Aside from stopping talking to her, I emailed Jack Newman. He says to increase the domperidone, continue tandem nursing, and feels positive I could get a full supply.

I am doing fenugreek and b. thistle 9 each per day.

We all know a full supply isn't the most important part of adoptive nursing, but it sure ain't bad either.

I'd love stories from people who were successful at adoptive nursing. I've read a few from time to time, but I'd love more. I'm sure others would love to hear the good stories too.

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Second it sounds like you are doing awesome. I think I would tell my friend you need positive encouragement and if she can't give you that then to please keep her comments to herself. Keep us posted on how things are going. You are doing awesome!!!!

I nursed my adopted daughter until she was 2years old. I got pregnant in that time frame with my son and was 5 months along when Rebekah self weaned. After Rab was born Rebekah would nurse off and on and continued to do so for the next year. We had a great nursing relationship. I have no regrets. smile

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
S
Second Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
S
Lalle,

Thanks for the info.

Were you able to get a full supply? If so, what did you do?

I know full supply isn't always possible and isn't the be all end all, but I'd sure like to get there.

Idaho
Idaho
I nursed with a supplementer (with formula and donor milk) until my daughter was 8 months old at that time we were nursing and eating solids etc... I went on the protocol when she was over a year to get more milk (prior to that I was using Dom and herbs only) as we were having cow milk issues I produced much more milk with the protocol and continued to nurse her without supplement for the rest of her time at the breast.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Idaho
Idaho
Also during the time I used the supplementer I could nurse her in the am without it and we nursed at night without it.

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Second,
I am exclusively nursing my 8 month old daughter and have been since she was 2 weeks old. I did the protocol starting in April 2007 when we started waiting to be matched. On December 13 we got the call that a baby had been born the day before in South Carolina. We drove all night to meet her. I started pumping one hour before she was placed in our arms on December 14. I added in the fenugreek and blessed thistle. I got drops right away. I tried putting her to the breast with the supplementor, but had a hard time. So I just decided that while we were in the hotel waiting for ICPC I would just bottle feed her with formula (and whatever I pumped) and pump to increase my supply. I would try to breastfeed with or without the supplementor about once a day. I was making about a teaspoon from each breast by 2 days. We got the okay to drive home on day 6 and by then I was making 1/2 to an oz each time. I pumped every 2 hours on the drive home and feel it really helped my supply. The morning after we got home, I decided to start bfing each time. I would feed her at the breast first and then give her a bottle after. I would then pump after most feeds. By the end of the week about 75% of the bottles were expressed bm. We had her two week check up and she had gained above her birth weight. I asked the ped about trying to drop all formula and she said to go ahead and to come back in a week for another weight check. For the next week I just breastfed (and it was more often - with the supplement, I was only feeding 6ish times a day - when I stopped supplementing I went up to 8+ times a day). I still pumped after as many feeds as I could to continue to increase supply. I would give ebm once a day I think (1-2 oz) just to make myself feel better. After a couple of days I dropped the supplement entirely. I still worried A LOT but she was doing good. I had a baby scale so I knew how much she was taking. It wasn't a whole lot, but in retrospect I think it was what she needed (because she still doesn't eat a whole lot - she is a small baby right from the start). I increased my dom to 30 mg 4 times a day at about 1.5 months. I continued to pump after 3 or 4 feedings a day (usually last one before bed, middle of the night and morning) for about 3 months. I built up quite a supply (which served me well because at 3 months I had a ruptured appendix and was hospitalized for 5 days - I continued to bf when I could but had to pump and dump some because of anesthesia and some medicines). After the appendicitis we were supplementing again for a week or so and then I just started feeding her more again and my supply came back totally. I stopped the pumping at 4ish months and only pump when needed now. We started trying solids at 6 months but she didn't eat them well until 7.5 months so she was on just bm until then. Her weight gain slowed quite a lot a 6 months (but so did my bio son's). Now that she is eating solids better, she is gaining better too. Now she barely takes a bottle even when needed. She would much rather have mommy. Hope that helps and sorry to write a novel. I feel so lucky to have had this experience and we hope to adopt again and I hope it will work as well. I would ignore the comments of your friend. You really are exclusively breastfeeding right now (one to 2 oz is nothing and I am sure you are pumping that if you are pumping every day)! It sounds like you are doing great!
Jennifer

S
Second Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
S
Jennifer,

Thanks for the story. I probably should pump, but I'm also nursing my 2.5 year old.

Baby's awake now. Gotta go. More later.

So. Cal.
So. Cal.
I just want to say that I'm sorry your friend is being a Debbie Downer. I have not been able to produce anywhere near a full supply for my baby and I consider myself a success because my baby gets her nutrition exclusively at the breast. I am grateful every day for my SNS.

Mama to 4 sons & 1 daughter: Carlos/Rafael/Loran b/d. 3-9-05; & earth angels Xavier b. 12-3-06 & Ivy b. 7-29-08
Preg. Loss & Child Death Support.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.