Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11452 09/07/08 04:58 PM
J
J in TX Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'm very excited to finally have started the regular protocol. Got the OK for the bcp from my MD, got my supply of BCP and dom, and I'm in week 1... and have already missed one dosage of dom.

Do people really take this 4 times a day for long periods of time??? When I miss a dose, what do I do? Double up the next time, or just skip it?

Has anyone taken more pills fewer times? Like 3 times a day? Or (nirvana) 2??? I'm taking 4 pills a day now and next week, I go to 8, so I didn't just want to move things around without checking it out.

So, for taking 80 mg a day, the protocol says take 20 mg 4 X a day. Would it hurt to take 40 mg 2X a day? Would it be dangerous for me? Would it significantly impact milk production adversely?

Thanks!
Janeen

E
E
I did occasionally forget a dose. I just skipped it...no big deal if it isn't too often. For me I would probably forget a dose once a week. Now I can't forget one or my supply is really affected. I don't think taking the dom twice a day is a good idea. Your body needs to have a steady dose of it, not sudden surges of it...
melanie

Melanie (mom to 3 boys and our baby girl waiting for us in Ethiopia)
J
J in TX Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I was afraid of that... frown

California
M
M
California
I did the regular protocol, i am now done and started pumping. i took 3 pills 3 times per day. Now, I'm taking it 4 times per day. I've only been pumping 6 days and i have a little milk.

Marica.

I am my husbands wife
My dogs mommy
Expecting our bundle of Joy October 2008
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
Many people start out taking 3 pills 3 times a day so you could definitely switch to that if you wanted (morning, lunch and bedtime might be easier to remember). I would not do two times a day. I did 2 pills 4 times a day and have increased to 3 pills 4 times a day and I remember most times now. I've been on the protocol since April 2007 and exclusively breastfeeding since December 2007. I kept a chart in the beginning, but now I mostly remember.
Jennifer

M
M
Yep, 4 times a day ...really!
Some suggestions...visit your pharmacy to see if they have a pill box that would help you sort them out...that way you won't forget if you already took the dose or not (as I used to do!)...it was very helpful for me. That's how I've managed it for 3 years now!
Also, have some pills in your purse/car so that if you happen to be away from home, you won't have to miss a dose!
Best of luck,

Proud Mama of 2 Homegrown Sons, 7 & 9 yrs and our adopted princess bn 2/07
Proud wife of 11 yrs

S
experienced member
experienced member
S
I'm doing 4 pills 3 times a day. I am nursing a bio toddler and an adopted newborn. I use a pill box or I would forget if I'd taken a dose or not.

I have a pill box.. actually I have 4. It has 4 boxes on it for each day.. a 7 day box. I have 4 of them. I make up a months worth of pills at a time. Makes it less a hassle for me .

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.