photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lafayette, Colorado
OP Offline
Lafayette, Colorado
Hello all! My name is Cara and I am new to these boards. Hope everyone is well! I am going to be starting the Accelerated Protocol soon, to relactate for my baby boy. He just turned a year old but seems to still be having problems with his tummy...plus, cold & flu season is coming up and I want to protect him as best I can with those wonderful antibodies. Also I just miss the nursing relationship! We had a lot of problems (I have flat nipples, yaay!), very little support or education, and none of that helped the postpartum depression! Our nursing relationship ended too soon and I went to pumping. I had a Medela Pump in Style Advanced and it broke on me (faceplate kept popping off, diaphragm was hissing air and I lost major suction), but even when it was in working order and I had a full supply, the Medela pump didn't do anything for me. Actually I seem to have problems with any Medela pump I have tried, including the Symphony and Lactina. It's like my body just doesn't respond to it well. Anyway! lol

I was wondering if anyone has used the PJ Limerick Comfort breast pump in relactation or induced lactation, and if so, how did it work for you? Is it possible to obtain a used one for a decent price? My family and I are strapped for cash. The WIC clinics around here only have Medela products. Medela did send me a new Advanced pump since my first one broke, but I want to get another pump, if possible, that will better stimulate my breasts. Also, what about the Whittlestone Breast Expresser? I know they aren't being made any more, but it's possible to find used ones and get a new collection kit. I have heard good things about both the Whittlestone and PJ's, so I'm wondering if any of you have tried them? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!! smile

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I have the PJ's Limerick. I bought it used on this website for around $200-250 (can't remember for sure). It has worked well for me. I was able to build up my supply from nothing to 1 - 1 1/2 oz a pumping session within a week. I had a medela pump in style too and I think the Limerick works much better. You can check on Ebay. I bid on one but lost at the last minute, then found the one on here.
Jennifer

The whittle stone is not a good pump. They have to many kinks to work out in them. THey work for about a month then start this horrible grinding and knockin sound.. I did not like it at all. The PJ jr is a fantastic pump! I could pump with my pump in style and after pumping was always able to hand compress more milk sprays. With my PJ jr.. there was nothing to get out after pumping. Says alot to me!

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Lafayette, Colorado
OP Offline
Lafayette, Colorado
Thanks, ladies for the replies! I'm looking at a couple of PJ's Comfort Pumps on ebay, but I am having trouble getting the sellers to sell the pump and carrying cases by themselves, without the SofTouch collection kit (in both cases, the collection kits have been used and 'sterilized', which I don't trust -- I'd much rather buy a brand new collection kit on my own!). Any other ideas? I did email Limerick about options for low income mothers, and there is someone here in Colorado that sells 'certified' used PJ's Comfort Pumps, but they are still $300!! I can't afford that. No word back yet from the lady who sells them on whether or not she will work out a payment plan with me or not.

Also, my Medela PISA always did that to me, too. I could always hand express more milk out after pumping! I even tried different sizes of breast shields, using breast compressions during pumping, etc, and nothing worked.

Also, Jen -- you mentioned when you got a PJ's pump, you built your supply back up from nothing to 1-1 1/2 ounces per session in week. That is AWESOME! Did you follow a protocol first, or just start pumping? I'm very intrigued!

Thanks again! smile

You can always buy the pump and throw away the horns...But I would take the horns wash them in hot soapy water and sterlize myself. They would be good as new. And you would sterlize them so you knew they were done.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I was on the protocol for 8 months while we were waiting to be matched. We had a last second placement, so I stopped BCP's and started pumping the day we were placed with our daughter. I tried to put her to the breast with a lactaid, but had a hard time, so I just decided to focus on pumping for the first week (we were in a hotel so it was easier anyway). I had drops the first time I pumped and about a teaspoon from each breast by two days. At the end of the first week, we drove home 16 hours and I pumped every two hours in the car on the way home. I think I was getting about 1/2+ oz from each breast at that point. When we got home I started bfing her first and supplementing with a bottle AND pumping after every feed. We did that until her 2 week check up. At that point she had more than gained back to birthweight so I asked the ped about stopping supplementing. She has been exclusively bf since. She is 9 months now and is doing great.
I think it helped me that I already had her to start making the milk so quickly. I also think I just got lucky. Most people don't have that quick of success.
Jennifer

Lafayette, Colorado
OP Offline
Lafayette, Colorado
Nona, you are right, of course. I could wash and boil them myself, for sure. smile I found out something interesting about one of the PJ's Comfort pumps I am looking at, however. I like to do a bit of looking around on ebay sellers before I make a substantial purchase. Come to find out, this particular seller had bought the pump (a PJ's Comfort Jr.) from a guy who was selling it for his wife, and it sold for only $76, as it is several years old. This new seller, however, is trying to re-sell that pump for $250. I found this particular seller has been doing that for a while, buying old used breast pumps for quite cheap and re-selling them on ebay for more than they are worth. Clever! But now I'm trying to find a different PJ's Comfort pump. LOL... I reckon I am too picky.

So, what other pumps have y'all been successful with?

Everyone have a great night!

Oh wow.. I definetly would not want one that is several years old. I have one that is a few years old. But I only used a few months. Bought for me by a wonderful friend as a gift new. And I will be using it in about 6 weeks. I will be on the protocol for 9 months in 6 weeks. And as lenore well knows. I will pump for months smile

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.