Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Second I think you have to let your son nurse after her. Tell him the baby needs the milk to grow and when she is done he can have his turn. Big brothers have to wait. It is really important when tandem nursing to make sure that the baby is getting the bulk of the milk.

Last edited by Lalle; 09/25/08 02:59 PM.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
S
Second Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
S
Originally Posted By: Lalle
Second I think you have to let your son nurse after her. Tell him the baby needs the milk to grow and when she is done he can have his turn. Big brothers have to wait. It is really important when tandem nursing to make sure that the baby is getting the bulk of the milk.

This is easier said than done. I'll think she's done eating and let him nurse and then she wakes up. He falls off the bathtub side on top of his head--I can't say no. At night they both wake up at the same time and he goes ballistic at the thought of waiting. Or it's time to put him down for a nap or he just wakes up and he's always in a grouchy mood when he wakes up.

If she's nursing, or about to nurse, during the day I can delay him with a book. If I have to I can just say no. It's all those exceptions that are the problem. I would love some specific ideas on what I can do. Thanks.

J
J
If I knew the milk is gone because big brother just drank it, I'd supplement no matter what. I wouldn't let her do without...

S
Second Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
S
Originally Posted By: J in TX
If I knew the milk is gone because big brother just drank it, I'd supplement no matter what. I wouldn't let her do without...

Oh, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I'd like to figure out how to be better at holding off my son until the baby is done nursing.

I read in "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" to just tell the older child the rule is the baby eats first. Pretty simple, though I worried about doing that. I tried it and as long as we're not before or after sleep it's working okay.

I weighed the baby yesterday. She gained 5 ounces this week with supplementation. That's 1 ounce less than when I didn't supplement. I'm thinking she was uterine growth retarded since the bmom smoked and the first few weeks she had huge gains to catch up. Now that she has caught up, she has less gains so I don't need to worry.

Last week I increases my dom and I'm starting to feel like I have more milk. There's been less need to supplement.

Someone recommended I drink a beer because the hops can help. Well, I'm not going to drink beer, but I did make hops tea earlier (yuck!!!!) We'll see how that goes. Has anyone used hops and have a good recipe?

J
J
Are you taking the fenugreek and blessed thistle, too, or just the dom?

S
Second Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
S
I was taking them but didn't really notice any difference so I stopped after talking with a LLL leader I trust. I didn't notice any decrease after stopping them. I'd also tried them when my bio-son was 2 weeks old and hadn't noticed any difference.

By the way, the last couple of afternoons the baby has guzzled while nursing. Before I always worried if I had enough and sometimes I had to supplement. Something is working.

keep up the good work.. something is definetly working smile

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.