Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11822 10/14/08 07:10 PM
L
LindyG Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm 62 years old and my daughter is 2 months pregnant with her first child. She had breast reduction surgery when she was younger and her doctor told her she can't breastfeed. I would like to be able to give my grandchild the benefits of breastffeding for at least 6 months and my daughter likes the idea. Am I too old to induce ? I did nurse my daughter but that was 30 years ago. I really want to do this.

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
you are not too old to induce But if you are on Hormone replacement therapy you will need to stop it and do the Menopause protocol found here http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/menopause_protocol.html

I also must add that it is not true that your daughter cannot breastfeed her child. While it may take awhile longer to get her milk in and she may have to use a lact-aid device it isn't impossible and I have worked with a woman who did it and have known others that did as well.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
L
LindyG Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm not taking any hormones. I'm just a little nervous taking birth control pills at my age. My husband is afraid I'll start having periods again and I told him it won't happen.

I'll tell my daughter what you said. She just believes what her OB doctor told her.

I know of a lady that had breast reduction surgery.. she still pumped 13 ounces of milk a day

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.