Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
amyff Offline OP
OP Offline
A
We were just picked by a birthmom and she is due in less than 4
weeks...perhaps even earlier.
I have taken 4 weeks 2 days of dom and yasmin bcp. What should I do now? Should I start taking herbs and pumping and stop the bcp...what newman protocal should I do...I was doing the regular...should I switch to the rapid protocal?
Help!
Amy

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
amyff, Congratulations!!!! First, do you have a lact-aid? Have you seen the breast increases?
You have a couple options.
If you have seen the breast increases, you can go off the bcp now add herbs and start pumping. This could mean you might pump for anywhere from 2-6 weeks. (early or late delivery)

You can stay on the protocol for another 2 weeks (6 weeks total) then go off the bcp start herbs and pump for 2 weeks (maybe less) before baby gets here.

Or you can stay on the bcp until you know baby is on it's way go off the bcp add herbs and pump and nurse using a lact-aid. The baby will bring in your milk.

I think it is important to get a lact-aid in either scenario. You just never know if you will need it and better to be prepared.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
A
amyff Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have seen breast changes...more fullness, tenderness. I get drops of milk in the shower when I am washing up (first clear and then yellowish-white).
Is it generally better to pump longer or be on the protocol longer...are there any studies or is it just based on stories/experiences?
So, lact-aid...not a sns, right?
Thanks so much! We are so shocked!

A
amyff Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Also, I have nursed two bio babies in the past (ages 3 and 5) and I have been pregnant (m/c's and d+c's at 8-13 weeks) 3 times since Jan 08. So, lots of hormones have been running through this body.

Idaho
Idaho
It is generally best to stay on the protocol as long as you can. 30 days is the minimum for the accelerated, if you can get 6 weeks in that would be good. It sounds like your body is ready. How long ago did your 3 year old stop nursing?
I suggest the Lact-aid vs the SNS most of the moms here agree.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
A
amyff Offline OP
OP Offline
A
She stopped about 2 years ago. She wasn't interested anymore but my 5 year old nursed until she was 26 months.

A
amyff Offline OP
OP Offline
A
We may find out this week if she is farther along than she thought through amnio...that would possibly give me only 2 weeks. She is currently scheduled for a c-section on nov. 11th.
I am just not sure what to do...

Idaho
Idaho
Then I would stay on the protocol until the amnio, finish out the week anyway. Then you can decide. Do you have your pump already?

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
amyff - Congrats. I think I would wait until you know more for sure too. I think it is hard to keep up a pumping schedule (especially with two kids at home) and you might be best only planning to pump for 2 weeks. I was on the regular protocol for 8 months and had not notice for a baby (we got the call she had been born the day before). I started pumping an hour before she was placed in our arms. I had drops the first time and was pumping a teaspoon by day two and an ounce a session by a week. I did not use the lactaid, just concentrated on pumping because she had a hard time latching with it at first (she was very small). I started nursing her at a week and feeding with a bottle after feeds and pumping after most feeds. By two weeks, we went to ebfing and have been ever since and she is 10 months.
Good luck.
Jennifer

A
amyff Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have a medela pump in style...I talked to my lactation consultant and she thought I should start herbs and pumping tomorrow...I just don't know. We meet the birthmom on Tues. I think I am just going to sit tight until then...
Thanks for all of the comments and ideas...you all are so helpful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.