photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
So...my sweet girl has finally arrived, and is 5 weeks old today!!!

I was able to nurse her for the first time with a feeding tube contraption in the NICU when she was a week old. It was at that point that I started pumping and herbs. I am taking 40mg Dom three times a day, 3 capsules blessed thistle 3x/day, fenugreek 3 capsules 3x/day. I pump every 3 hours for 10 min with a symphony pump. I nurse her as often as possible during the day, but always pump afterwards. I am averaging 25mL every 3 hours or 210mL every day

She latches very well, and I've had her latch checked by an LC. She is, however, due to medical issues, a very fussy baby. She does not like the Lact-aid and always fusses when I try to nurse with it. She will nurse much better without a supplemental system, although still gets fussy at times and refuses the breast. I want breastfeeding to be pleasant for her, so I really just go with her cues and stop if she gets too fussy.

Any thoughts on how to increase my supply??? Also thoughts on how to decrease fussiness would be great.

THANKS!!!!
Erin

1year on regular protocol.
Nursing/pumping for one month for our sweet girl!!
Canada
Canada
Hi Erin, congratulations!
Wow, you must be proud and happy!!!
My son didn't like the lact-aid either, we couldn't get used to it. I think you have a very good approach when you say that you go with her cues. I personaly think patience, persistence and listening is the key. If you keep breatfeeding and pumping the way you do, your supply should improve!
It took me about 2-3 months before I could exclusively breastfeed my son, but since then he wouldn't accept the bottle!
Good luck, keep on
Jalx

B
OP Offline
B
Jalx ~ Thank you!!! We are so thrilled with our little beauty! I'm getting so frustrated with the darn lact-aid though!!

As for my supply improving, I have been pumping for 4 weeks now, and its stopped increasing as of 2 weeks ago. Its hard to think that it'll stop there...and with what I'm now producing, theres no way I could exclusively breastfeed...

feeling frustrated...

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Have you tried to latch with out lact-aid and then slip it in? Have you tried the transitioning to breast protocol? I wonder if using a breast shield with the lact-aid would work.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
B
OP Offline
B
Lalle~ No,no, and no. What should I try first?????

Idaho
Idaho
I would try to slip the lact-aid tube in after latching and see how that goes. There is a video showing how. I will go grab the link for it.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Idaho
Idaho
Okay this video shows first compression and then how to add the lact-aid tube in. They are using a bottle adapted version. But it is basically the same tubing. Try the compression as well.
http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/additional_reading/movies/lactationaid.wmv
I think if you can get her to take the lact-aid it will help tremendously as she will stay at the breast longer.

Idaho
Idaho
Are you bottle feeding? If so, what kind of nipple are you using?

J
J
What is the transitioning to breast protocol???

Idaho
Idaho
It is typically used when you get an older baby that is used to a bottle. SO you go from bottle to nipple with lact-aid threaded through to breast shield with lact-aid threaded through to lact-aid at the breast to just breast
It is transitioning to breast slowly. smile It is a something Lenore sent to me that I have passed on to many moms here.

Last edited by Lalle; 10/30/08 11:15 PM. Reason: adding info

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.