Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12124 11/18/08 09:38 PM
T
Taylor Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello everyone. I'm new and researching getting ready to start the Menopause Protocol. I'm just curious if anyone has experience with the difference between hormone replacement therapy dosage and the Ortho Novum/Yasmin combination. In my research it appears that I am taking more milligrams of estrogen & progesterone via my HRT than I would be with the BCP, which seems would be preferable. I'm concerned with switching over because of the migraines I used to get while on BCP. Any advise?

Thanks in advance!
Taylor

Toronto, Ontario
Toronto, Ontario
Taylor,

What is the dosage for HRT?

The Yasmin seems to be 3mg progesterone and .30 mg of estrogen. I get migraines but didn't notice them any worse on the protocol and I was on it for 7 months last time. I also took a baby aspirin just to prevent any clotting issues even though I've never had problems with that.

Mom of bio kids Joel 22, Elliot 19, Marya 13 and Talitha 5 (adopted from Haiti at age 10 months) Hoping for a match with an infant under a year from Children's Services starting in early 2009.
extra helpful experienced member
Yes your HRT has more hormones in it than the BCPs. I am the one the meno protocol was invented for. I was the test subject so to speak! I took both BCPs. I had a better response with the ortho pills and added a 2.5mg progesterone pill to it.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Nona #12127 11/20/08 04:24 AM
T
Taylor Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Talithasmom & Nona,

Okay, I pulled out the boxes and this is how my RX reads:

Tri-Est 5mg (50/30/20) / Prog 50mg

This dosage is used 2 times per day so that would be 10mg of the Tri-Estrogen and 100mg of Progesterone.

Nona, is this similar to the HRT dosage you were on before switching to the BCP's? Did nothing happen when you were on the HRT and that's why you switched to the BCP's?

How long should I try the HRT w/Dom before giving that up and switching to the BCP's + Dom.?

I'm having to figure this out myself because my doctor seems non-forward thinking on the subject.

Thank you so much,
Taylor

Idaho
Idaho
Taylor I don't think it is recommended to try with HRT and dom but to switch over to the bcp and add the 2.5mg progesterone pill to it.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Lalle #12129 11/20/08 05:23 PM
T
Taylor Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Lalle,

That seems to be what I am gathering from everything I'm reading. It's nice to have all of the input from you ladies who have been there as well as support from experienced people!

Taylor

no I did not do the hrt with the domperidone. I stopped my hrt and started the bcp with the domperidone and the added progesterone.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Nona #12131 11/21/08 09:29 PM
T
Taylor Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks Nona. I've order the BCP & Progestone pills. Already have the Domperidone and will make the switch when they get here. It really does help to converse with someone who has been there. I'll keep everyone posted.

Taylor

Glad to be of help. Ask anything...thats what we are here for. smile

Nona #12901 10/27/09 02:50 AM
D
D
Hi,
I am very new to this and am looking into the whole fantastic idea of being able to breastfeed!
I had a hysterectomy 18 years ago and now have a gestational surrogacy on board and we are hoping to be attempting to get pg in January.
I take .625 mg of estrogen daily and 10 mg of DHEA.
What is reccomended for us in regards to hormones?
Do we stop HRT and just take the BCP? If so, what is the make up of the BCP - we have different brand names in New Zealand.
Do we also take progesterone and domperidone?
Do we only do this until our breasts get bigger and then go off the BCP and start pumping? Do we continue the progesterone and domperidone?
Can someone please enlighten me - there is so much info i am getting confused!
Did anyone experience Menopausal symptoms on the protocols?
all the best
Dianne

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.