Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12757 08/07/09 05:17 AM
Nevada
K
kaarina Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Nevada
I just found a used Medela Symphony for sale locally for $500. I'm wondering if there's any way to know if it is generally more cost effective to rent a pump or buy one. Is it just case by case how long one needs to pump to establish maximum milk supply?

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
I think it is more cost effective to buy. That said you can get a Medela Pump in Style for way less than that. The Limerick is a good pump too for about $500 as well as the Symphony.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Lalle #12760 08/07/09 09:58 PM
Nevada
K
kaarina Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Nevada
I talked to a lactation consultant who strongly advised the Symphony over the Pump in Style. (Maybe a vested interest, though?) I don't mind spending the money if it makes a significant difference, but if it's all pretty much the same, of course I'd rather go with the PIS. smile What do you think?

Thanks!

Idaho
Idaho
The Symphony is a higher grade pump. Hospital grade But the PIS has worked well for lots of inducing women. The Limerick is rated really high for induced lactation. There is someone in the Buy Sell Trade Forum with one for sale. Quite a few women here have used this pump including Lenore.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Lalle #12769 08/10/09 04:55 AM
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I bought a used limerick and would recommend it (especially if you can get it used). It is rated multiple user. I bought it from someone on this website.

I haven't used the symphony, but it is also rated multiple user and I think is sturdier than a PIS.

I have used the PIS and thought it was pretty good too, but I have heard that the motor can wear out from extended use, so it depends on how used they are.

Renting can be very expensive, so I think usually, especially for adoptive bf, buying is a better idea.

Jennifer

Nevada
K
kaarina Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Nevada
Lalle, what are the advantages of the Limerick? I just want the best pump, so if that's it, I'll get it!

Idaho
Idaho
I would have to look back in the old posts But I believe it more accurately mimics a baby nursing. I think it has soft breast horns and a let down setting

Lalle #12786 08/16/09 12:21 AM
Idaho
Idaho
I'll see what else I can find

Lalle #12787 08/16/09 04:27 AM
Nevada
K
kaarina Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Nevada
Thanks, Laurie. Awhile back (before we were approved) I scoured the boards looking for the best recommended pump, and I guess I had it in my head that it was the Symphony. I remember it being hard to find a strong preference, though...

Does the Limerick also have the horns that are shaped so you don't have to lean forward so much? I think I read about those on here somewhere. (All the information starts to run together, though!)

Idaho
Idaho
I know what you mean about info running together. I remember a discussion on th esymphony and I believe Lenore said if your insurance would pay for it then it is the better pump to get in comparison to a PIS but much more expensive. I am not sure how it compares to the limerick. I may just email her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.