Print Thread
#12851 09/28/09 08:46 PM
Midwest-Missouri
T
OP Offline
T
Midwest-Missouri
Hello All-

I have been lurking around reading as much as I can for a couple years. We have been on our journey for that long, but now it's time to start pumping!
A little history is that I have a surrogate who is due November 12. I have been on the protocol for about 5 months, and on Thursday night I took my last BCP. I started pumping on Friday, and then on Saturday started the herbs. During the afternoon I got several drops out of my left breast! YAY!

I have read about the "rusty pipes" and I believe that is what I have...the fluid is greenish?! I have continued on schedule pumping, and then today I got a few drops from the left. Same colored stuff...

There was enough on the left to go to the bottle and it is sticky stuff because it didn't want to come out of the bottle very easily.

I have nursed 2 children before but it's been 10 years, and I had a lumpectomy on the right for a small lump on a milk duct, so I am totally amazed that I am even getting anything from the right.

How long will I have the discolored fluid, and when do you know it's safe to keep?

Sorry for the lengthy post, and I am looking forward to any ones response. Thanks so much!

Tricia

BC, Canada
BC, Canada
Congrats! I started pumping 2 weeks ago yesterday and am now getting 2 ounces per day! It wont take long before the sticky stuff turns to milk. I started freezing once I was able to produce one ounce per day (one week ago).

Your body may respond much faster than mine did, as I did the accelerated protocol and was on bcp for only abougt 40 days.

Good luck!

T

mama to 3 beautiful adopted kiddos-Alexa (8), Angie(5), Jaxon (5) and hoping to bf our 4th little one...due March 2010!
M
M
I started with some of the greenish stuff too. I kept it when it turned to a grayish stuff and wasn't so sticky. The first time I pumped I got 2ccs then 3-5-7-15 etc. it increased about every 2 days or so. DD is now almost 7 months old and I make probably 25-50 % of her needs. I made more of her needs in the beginning but she nursed more then and I have taken myself off all the meds and herbs.
Good luck...keep with it. It is soooo worth it!.

Melissa DW to Dan, Mom to Dakota-18 by birth, Olivia-6 by TS and Sarah by adoption born 3/6/09
Midwest-Missouri
T
OP Offline
T
Midwest-Missouri
I am getting discouraged, but trying not to be...still only drops from both sides, though now on the left it looks like milk. I have been on the protocol for several months, but just started pumping about 10 days ago...I'm doing everything suggested,including the oatmeal.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Tricia

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
how many times do you pump daily and for how long? What kind of pump are you using. On avg (if there is such a thing) people start seeing milk around 2 weeks

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Midwest-Missouri
T
OP Offline
T
Midwest-Missouri
I am pumping at least 5 times a day for 30 minutes and am using a Medela Symphony breast pump. I am still plugging away...just hoping soon it will increase. I get several drops from the left, and sometimes a few drops of greenish on the right, but sometimes nothing on the right.

Thanks for any advice!

Tricia

Idaho
Idaho
I would stop in between and do the breast massage/jiggling So pump for 15 stop massage and then maybe pump 10 more minutes. Sounds like you are making progress

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Hey ladies! Been awhile since I have posted... But question. Are you pumping one time at night? I would also increase your pumpings. I also found warm wash cloths on my breasts before pumping helped to

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
The milk is safe now. You may have the greenish fluid for a week. You can save anything you get. The greenish fluids have antibodies in it as well. Good luck!

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.