photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
NicoleB Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I was on the regular protocol, taking bcp and dom for about 6 months, then stopped the bcp and started the puming and dom 3 weeks ago. I pump about 9 times a day, twice at night and then every 2-3 hours during the day.

I got drops at my first pumping, and I am now getting about an oz per day, and was happy with my progress until I read on this forum that many other women are getting an oz or more PER PUMPING SESSION after 3 weeks.

Is my rate of increase normal? Is there any way to increase faster? Is there any hope that I can build up to an oz per pumping within a couple of weeks?

My babies are already born, but they're preemies and can't really suck yet. They should learn to suck in a couple of weeks, but once they do, they will be home from the hospital. I don't think I will be able to maintain the pumping schedule once I have twins to care for.

I'm starting to worry that this isn't going to work out for me.

thanks for any advice you can offer.

Nicole

I'm taking 120 dom per day,

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Nicole I think you are doing fine. Just keep it up and once the babies get home and can suckle your milk will jump right up their. You will not need to pump when you are nursing two babies unless you want to pump a bit after nursing. Do you have a lact-aid set up so you can feed them at the breast while supplementing in the beginning?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
N
NicoleB Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Also, I'm not getting sprays yet -- still just drops. Once or twice, I think I've gotten an isolated spray, but it's definitely not a regular occurrence. When can I expect to start getting sprays? Anything I can do to encourage it?

I have an SNS, but not a Lact-Aid. I will order one tomorrow.

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Nicole - One thing that helped me to get sprays was hand expression. I first got sprays with hand expression way before I was able to get them with a pump. Also, I know that pumping both breasts at once helps production, but sometimes I would pump one breast at a time and use the other hand to massage my breast and use compression. Once I used compression I was able to get sprays but it took a while to get sprays without compression. I would recommend experimenting a little with this and see if you get sprays. I would also recommend hand expressing after you pump to completely drain your breasts. I was amazed at how much I was able to hand express afterwards. Good luck and stay positive!!

H
H
are you taking the recommended herbs too?

Herbs

In addition to the medications described above, the following herbs have been found to be helpful in increasing milk supply for women on the protocols:

Fenugreek seed
3 capsules (580-610 mg each) 3 times a day with food
Blessed Thistle herb
3 capsules (325-390 mg each) 3 times a day with food

I don't know if it will help at all since I don't know what the other woman do. I've never been to the pumping point myself.

Last edited by hvnsnt; 01/03/10 05:36 PM.
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
experienced member
experienced member
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
Great advice in the last 2 posts.

Nicole, I have been pumping for 4 weeks and in the last few days have gotten anywhere from 20-77 ML per pumping session. It largely depends on how long it's been between pumping, and how much manual stimulation I have before pumping, and time of day. The morning I got 77 ML I had a 5 minute double breast massage administered by my husband. I closed my eyes and relaxed and he massaged, then I pumped. I was VERY surprised to see the output! Normally I pump 25-35 ML per session. I also use compression during pumping, and manually express afterward.

I also first got sprays during manual expression and only get them while pumping if I have the suction turned way up which I don't tolerate well, so rarely do. Mostly the milk comes out in drops, one right after another, or in a very very small flow.

I take 20mg of Dom every 6 hours, and 3 capsules each of fenugreek and blessed thistle every 8 hours.

Hope that helps,
Jenny

**Jenny**
AP to Helina, home from Ethiopia at 10 months old in Feb 2010

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.