photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
NicoleB Offline OP
OP Offline
N
When I posted a week ago, I was getting an ounce per day, or about 4 mL per pumping. A week later, I'm getting 1.5 oz per day, or about 5-6 mL per pumping.

2 questions:

1) Will I ever be able to achieve a reasonable supply at this rate?

2) My babies are preemies and are now big enough to go to the breast sometimes. I have an SNS and use it 1-3 times per day, depending on if the babies are awake at feedings or not (they are in the hospital and are fed by feeding tube if asleep). So, if I am still getting the same 1.5 oz from pumping on days that I put them to the breast with the SNS, is it possible that my supply is actually increasing, but I can't measure it because the babies are taking some? In a good nursing session, they will stay at the breast for 15 minutes each, then I pump after.

Thanks,
Nicole

BC, Canada
BC, Canada
I would think that .5 of an ounce is a reasonable increase after a week. At first, I was getting an ounce every 10 days to 2 weeks and then it slowed down after a couple of months.

I am sure that it is very possible that they are getting some from you when you are feeding from the sns.

keep us posted!

T

mama to 3 beautiful adopted kiddos-Alexa (8), Angie(5), Jaxon (5) and hoping to bf our 4th little one...due March 2010!
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
experienced member
experienced member
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
Congrats that they are nursing at the breast! That is amazing. I think that they are nursing at the breast AND you have seen an increase in pumping output is really great. I definitely think they are getting something when they nurse, which means more of an increase than you think. Good job!!

**Jenny**
AP to Helina, home from Ethiopia at 10 months old in Feb 2010

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.