photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
klw3287 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi- We were just contacted by a birth mom who is due any day. I am not sure how to begin the protocol in that case. My 18 month old son was adopted at birth but I had about 3 months notice so I did the accelerated protocol. I nursed him or gave pumped milk exclusively for the first 4 months then had to start supplementing some. I stopped completely at about 6 months so 1 year ago as my supply was low & I was always having to supplement. So- what are my chances of being able to nurse this one? Do I have time to do any protocol? I do have 1/2 bottle of dom left but not sure if it is still good? I do have a good pump. I would appreciate any feedback! You can also email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

H
H
That's a tough question. I'd probably email Lenore in your case. I'd say go on the accelerated protocol for at least 15-30 day's and while doing that feed your LO with a lact-aid so he/she gets used to the breast. Then after the 30 days on the accelerated protocol start the pumping and continue the lact-aid till you have a good supply and don't need it. That's just what I'd probably do.

Last edited by hvnsnt; 02/06/10 11:17 AM.
Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Hi,

We too had an unexpected match ( that is to say she was dropped off at our door)and I had NO time to prepare. In fact, a family emergency so I traveled for the first 9 days of our daughter's life. When I returned, I immediately started the accelerated protocol and stayed on BC for 30 days. I was using the SNS from day one, even though I wasn't producing any milk. After 30 days I started producing drops and then more. I was pretty jazzed! After much frustration I dropped the SNS and started using the lact aid. MUCH better. By the time my daughter was 4 months old, I was producing 95% of her needs. : )

Hope this encouraged you that even with short notice, you can sucessfully BF your baby

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I would also do what hvnsnt suggested. Do a short protocol and feed with a lactaid. Then start pumpin after feeds whenever possible. Good luck.
Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.