S
OP Offline
S
WV
I just started pumping yesterday.

Here are the particulars:

I have a Medela Pump in Style Advanced
I have very small nipples and areolas
I am not getting any milk yet, as I'm sure is normal so early on...

But, It is so painful to pump. I've tried two different size flanges. The medium seems just a bit too large, and the small seems just a bit too small... but there's no size in between. Both of these sizes hurt me.

While I'm pumping, during the first phase, it's doable. It is uncomfortable, but I can handle it. Once it switches over to phase two, I feel like my nipples are being pulled completely off. They are raw and sore all day long. Right after pumping, they burn like I just touched a match to them.

I know this can't be normal. Is it this painful for anyone else? Is there anything I can do? I obviously can't get a flange in my size... and I've already bought the pump, so I can't return it to get a different type. Is it because my areolas are so small and are basically being sucked into the tube along with my nipples? But, if I use the medium, the nipple doesn't even go into the tube... but it still hurts.

Does it just hurt because nothing is being expressed yet? Will it get better once I start producing milk?

Am I alone in this? Is there anything at all I can do to make this bearable? I can't give up... I'll pump through the pain if I have to... but boy would it be nice to not have to.

J
J
I am new to induced lactation, but not to breastfeeding or to pumping, so I'll try to help.

Especially if you have never breastfed, yes, it is going to hurt for the first few days. Some soreness is to be expected. As long as you are not bleeding or developing fissures, the pain is probably normal. Sorry! However, if you can make it through the first week or so, they will toughen up, I think.

Do you have any Lahsinoh lanolin ointment? If not, some people use A and D ointment or something similar. I highly recommend the Lahsinoh, though.

I also have relatively small areolas, and yes, they do get pulled into the tube along with the nipple.

Just an idea: How long are you pumping each time? It probably wouldn't hurt to reduce the amount of time that you spend pumping each session by a few minutes. It is more important to pump frequently than to pump for a long stretch each time. If you end up feeling like your nipples are being pulled off and set on fire, you won't be highly motivated to continue, and like you said- you can't give up! Maybe just pumping for 3-5 minutes each time would be OK for now until your nipples toughen up.

I don't know if you are experiencing more pain because nothing is being expressed yet. Someone else with more experience with induced lactation could address that. Although I breastfed 3 bio. babies, I am new to induced lactation and I'm only on day 5 pumping, so I'm right there with you. Please let us know how it turns out. Hang in there- things can only get better from here.

-Jenny M.

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia

I didn't pump at all since DD arrived with no previous notice. I started nursing with the SNS and ouch! It took a while before that soreness wears off.

Make sure you are NOT using the high setting. This can damage your nipples.

Something else you might try. Expose your nipples to the sun light for 10 minutes a couple times a day. Hopefully you can find a place that is private. Allow as much open air time as you can. This will help.

Also, someone should have info on nipple shields. I have read on this forum that women with small nipple have used the shields with good results.

It is worth it. press on!

WV
S
OP Offline
S
WV
Thank you both.

I'm using the lowest setting on the pump, but it's still painful. I've cut my time down to 3-4 minutes, massage, 3-4 minutes. I was doing 5, massage, 5.

Fingers crossed it will get better. smile

Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
Another thing you might want to try is putting a few drops of olive oil on your nipples each time before pumping. Pumping causes friction on your nipples especially if you aren't producing anything yet. Olive oil is perfectly safe to use even if you are producing milk.

You may want to check with a lactation consultant or the La Leche League to get help with picking the size of your flanges.

Michele
Mommy to Danielle born 5/30/08 and Brady born 12/26/10
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
experienced member
experienced member
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
This is an old topic but I wanted to share. I have small breasts and nipples like the OPer and also went through various flange sizes in the beginning when pumping was very painful. I settled on the standard size flange. Pumping was uncomfortable for a long time, but I can't remember if it was a matter of days, or actual weeks that I suffered. Thankfully, I've forgotten.

I've been pumping now for 6 months (baby never latched) and pumping is never pleasurable, but usually it is not actually uncomfortable or painful. Every few weeks, though, I go through a few days of sore nipples like the OPer describes. When that happens I cut down on frequency of pumping, and the amount of suction I use. It takes about 5 days or so, and the soreness goes away for another few weeks. In the large scheme of things, the few days of pumping less doesn't affect my overall milk supply.

**Jenny**
AP to Helina, home from Ethiopia at 10 months old in Feb 2010

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.