Print Thread
#13696 08/01/10 03:33 PM
C
Claudia Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
C
I have a question about breast shield size. I have tried to research the subject on the Medela website but it was a little hard to follow/ measure. I have 2 (24mm) breast shields and 2 (27mm) breast shields. I am trying to determine which one I should be using. How much of the nipple should be moving in the shield while you pump? When I use the 24mm shield, less than an inch of my nipple is actually in the shield moving and it is difficult to position the shield so that my nipple isn't rubbing against the side. When I use the 27mm shield, more of my aerola is a shield moving and is able to expand easier and not touch the side of the shield. Obviously the bigger the shield, the more of the aerola that will be exposed. How much of the aerola is optimal? Which shield size do you think I should be using for maxiumum stimulation?

My second question is when I am pumping my nipple is its natural color, but when I am done and I remove the shield the part of my nipple that was in the shield is white. This happens regardless of what shield size I use. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to stop it from happening?

Thanks so much!

NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
experienced member
experienced member
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
Hey Claudia,
I'm going to attempt to answer your questions. Your nipples naturally swell during pumping, so it would be best to fit your shields during a pumping session. The nipples should not rub against the sides of the phlange at all. If they do, go with the next bigger size. Technically, the areola should not be suctioned into the phlange at all, but if you need that larger size to prevent nipple friction, then so be it.

About the color of your nipple. With vasospasm, nipple stimulation (or cold) causes the blood vessels in the nipple to contract, thus cutting off blood supply to that tissue. This causes pain, usually when pumping is stopped, and suddenly blood flow rushes back. It's a burning sensation, and the nipples may look white at first, then blue or bright red. If the change in color of your nipples is not accompanied by pain, then I would say not to worry about it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, kind of thing.
HTH,
Jenny

**Jenny**
AP to Helina, home from Ethiopia at 10 months old in Feb 2010

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.