Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#13902 10/09/10 09:49 PM
J
J in TX Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I think what I need is encouragement.

I was on the regular protocol for nearly 2 years, and had droplets the whole time. I went off the protocol for 3 months, then got the baby (of course!) and started the accelerated protocol. I had droplets within days, so I assumed that when I dropped the bcp and started the herbs, I would quickly have milk. Not so. Finishing the second day of nursing with the lact-aid and also pumping some, and still, no milk.

Of course, when I gave birth to my daughter 9 years ago, it was several days before my milk came in... but then, I had colostrum.

The good news is that baby girl and I are adapting to the the lact-aid without too much trauma. smile When do you think I can realistically expect to have milk???

Thanks!
Janeen

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Hi Janeen,

Be patient. I had drops my first day after the accelerated protocol. I did take time to build up milk. Keep using the lact aid AS much as possible to stimulate the supply to build.

If in the future you want to try and increase your supply you might look into upping your dom per day.

Also EAT OATS! Made a big difference to me. I had oatmeal every morning.

I was able to achieve EBF and 90% of my DD needs with my milk supply.

Keep it up and be encouraged! You are doing great!

J
J in TX Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks, Linda.

I'm at 120 mg of dom a day. I take 3 tablets 4 times a day. Same amount of blessed thistle and fenugreek. I was thinking of upping the bt and fen to 4X4.

Do you (or does anyone) know how high I can go on the dom (safely)?

Thanks!
Janeen

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Janeen,

I would write Lenore directly about increasing dom. How much milk are you getting at each feeding or pumping? I had a real hard time figuring that one out, since I used lact aid almost every feed.
I was pretty jazzed when, after a month or so, I found my first spray. I didn't have access to this forum for several months (dial up didn't hack it) so it was so encouraging to hear from others.
I also thought that re lactating would be like my former birth, BFeeding experience. I learned not to expect the same results. The bonding was so worth it though.

Again, try OATS! My friend told me with her children ( natural not induced) she had so much milk after the oats she donated her extra to several 'failure to thrive' babies in local hospitals.

Make sure you drink a lot of liquid as well. Maybe Oat milk?
:-)
Remember it takes time to build the supply. In the meanwhile enjoy all the cuddling and bonding time with your dear one
"Breastfeeding is much more than just producing milk"

J
J in TX Offline OP
OP Offline
J
OK, I added the oats, and I'll ask Lenore about the dom. I haven't managed to obtain ANY milk though pumping. I have hand-epressed a total of about 1-4 drops in a day. I am now using the lact-aid at every feeding.

I guess the frustration is that I see 2 main benefits of breastfeeding -- the convenience of the instantaneous supply, and the health benefits. IMO, the bonding will happen if I cuddle and lovingly feed my child, whether with breast or with bottle. Having to filter formula and tape, untape to burp, retape, etc. only causes frustration on both our parts. I do not see the lact-aid as a good long-term solution at all, since my dd is not getting the health benefits of breastmilk, and the lact-aid is considerably less convenient than either bottle or breast. As a short-term measure, though, I think it is an ingenious invention. Sorry for the vent. I'm just waiting for 3 bottles worth of formula to finish filtering so we can go to bed. <sigh>

#13907 10/12/10 01:34 AM
J
J in TX Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: J in TX
Hi Janeen,

Be patient. I had drops my first day after the accelerated protocol. ...
I was able to achieve EBF and 90% of my DD needs with my milk supply.

Keep it up and be encouraged! You are doing great!

Now THAT is encouragement! Thanks!!!

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
Janeen,
This time pumping I got a sticky substance in the first few days (almost like oil) but no milk. I didn't get milk in the first 2-3 days at all. My issue was psychological I think. I had to start looking at a picture of a baby to get it to start. I started seeing drops after 3 days and then it started to increase from there.

After 9-10 days pumping I was up to 2 oz a day. We got the baby at that point and I started bf first and then pumping.

By the time the baby was 2 weeks old, I was pumping a little more than 1/2 oz each time I pumped (6-8 times a day).

When the baby was 3 weeks old, I was ebf her and we have been since (she is 2 months old now). I am making about 24 oz a day now.

I am on 120 mg of dom a day and fenugreek 3 pills 3 times a day. I stopped taking the blessed thistle because I don't think it does anything.

I have heard you can safely go up to 160 mg of dom a day.

Good luck to you.
Jennifer

J
J in TX Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Oh, thank you, Jennifer! Maybe it will be OK... I'll keep at it. Congratulations, by the way!

M
M
As far as how much dom to take, Dr. Newman says on his site at
http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14:domperidone-getting-started-&catid=5:information&Itemid=17

"In some situations we go as high as 40 mg 4 times a day."

I took 160 mg/day for several months.

Try to not get discouraged! I had no warning before getting my baby and did no prep and had no milk, no Lact-Aid, nothing! It took me a couple of weeks to get my dom, my Lact-Aid etc. As soon as baby was able to (we struggled a bit in the beginning with a weak suck as she was very low birth wt. preemie, drug exposed etc.) take all of her formula at the breast I used the Lact-Aid exclusively. My milk increased very gradually over the next few months. By the time she was 4 months old she only needed supplemental formula in the late afternoon and evening. At 6 months old I no longer needed to supplement at all.

Hang in there!

J
J in TX Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you! I am learning that I really need to adjust my expectations. I am at 2 1/2 weeks now, and still have only drops. I feel very frustrated at times and feel lik throwing in the towel. Comments like yours give me renewed resolve to keep at it. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.