photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
L
I've felt like giving up too! I've just been pumping 2 1/2 weeks today and still in mostly drop stage. While you're waiting for milk to come in try adding primrose oil capsules. I have and it 'fattens' it up. I've noticed that my milk has gone from the bluish colour to more of a white colour. It's been cool at least to see that.

Keep at it - even drops is awesome! Most of the articles I've read on induced, or re-lactation sites say that women can expect to meet 25% to 75% of their baby's needs. Very few will produce less than that. And obviously from the number of posts on this site, many women can ebf or come darn close.

Good luck and congrats on your new little one!

extra helpful experienced member
How long have you been off the BCPs? I did not get any drops until 2 weeks after the pills were out of my system. Then the drops started and it built from there.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
J
J in TX Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you for the encouragement (all of you!)

Baby is 2 months old now, and I've been nursing her with the lact-aid for one month. Two weeks ago, I figured out that my bra wasn't helping me. I had been using a stretchy workout bra because it was easy access, LOL! (I have recently lost a chunk of weight, so it wasn' too tight... I thought) Anyway, I figured out that it was giving me too much compression, so I stopped wearing it and started looking for a nursing bra. Within 5 days, I had spray!

I thought that once I got to spray, things would be much easier, but not really. I can get maybe 3 sprays from the left side, one from the right, then I get just a dribble. The dribble is the nice white creamy variety, though, so I am glad she is getting that. I haven't been able to reduce the supplement yet. She is still drinking 24 oz plus of formula, so I know she can't be getting much breastmilk.

I still vacillate between wanting to quit and having hope. I can live with some supplementation, but I'm not going to be able to live with the lact-aid forever. I *think* if I can get to the point of supplying more than 50% of her need, I'll think it was worth it.

I've also dropped the daily beer and added brewer's yeast 4 times a day. Don't know if it has helped or not, but I'm sure my liver will thank me. wink

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Hi again,

Ok, this might seem a bit scarey, but I would suggest that you start with JUST the breast. Have your baby empty both sides, and THEN use the lact aid. She won't drain you if you are using the lact aid as well, and then your breast won't up the milk production. supply and demand . : )
As to the spray, I had the same thing. My right side had a LOT more than my left. I have read that this is very common. However, both breasts gave sufficient milk to meet DD, 90% EBF.

Your body is wired to produce more milk as demanded. Maybe start out with giving just breast first feeding in the morning. It might seem like a bigger hassle but it's worth it.

I think it's totally possible for you to get to 50%. It takes some courage and time. You also might pump after each feed, stimulates more.

I know that Jenny weaned off Lact aid and did great! Also, what amount are you taking of dom? Oats? drinking LOTS?

Look at past post to get some more info.
Be encouraged! You are doing great

Last edited by Linda; 11/08/10 08:01 PM.
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I agree with Linda. Try at one feeding only offering the breast. Middle of the night or first thing in the morning are when you generally have the most. When I started this is what I did. You may have to feed soon after with the lactaid, but that's okay.

I also think nursing first before adding the lactaid is a good idea. Hang in there.
Jennifer

J
J in TX Offline OP
OP Offline
J
OK, I'm doing it, with good results, I think. It is hard to say... I don't hear a lot of swallowing, but she is content to nurse for a few minutes before she gets frustrated and I add the lactaid.

Also, I figured out that I need to make sure she nurses both sides before I add it. My original plan was one side -- nurse, then lactaid, the switch sides -- nurse, then lactaid. Twice in a row, we never made it to the second breast, so now I get her to empty both before I add the lactaid. smile

I sure do hope my new nursing bras arrive today!

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Way to go!

I had to let go of the idea that nursing my adopted daughter would be just like my bio children. It wasn't. I didn't have the same feeling or fullness. But it worked out just fine!
Glad you are having her drain both breast. That will help stimulate MORE milk. : )
Nursing bra helps big time. My first 2 months I didn't have any nursing bras, I had to take off my bra completely and it was uncomfortable. After I received my new bras it was so much better I felt more relaxed.

Keep it up!

#13949 11/14/10 12:12 AM
D
D
Janeen, I just logged on and realized it had been longer than I realized since I had been here. Otherwise, I would have responded to your response to my post (does that make sense?). It sounds like things are going well for you and your daughter.

I have one suggestion, since you are trying having her nurse before adding the Lact-Aid. You can use a small hair clip to close off the tube, until you are ready to let her have the supplement from it. That might help avoid having to either unlatch and relatch, or insert the tube while leaving her on the breast. I could never do the latter. Trying to stick the tube in always messed up the latch, or totally unlatched them. Another thing I did, when they were on the second side, was pull the tube out of their mouth when I thought they'd had enough from it, and then just let them stay on the breast and keep sucking as long as they would. Most of them would go for that, but one refused to suck if the tube wasn't there. He was the one I produced the most milk for, too! When we adopted his younger sister, when he was 21 month old, he had only been nursing once or twice a day and I wasn't producing much any more. Her arrival came with two days notice, so I needed to use quite a bit of supplement. As is common, he wanted to nurse much more frequently when she first arrived, like almost every time I nursed her. That meant that I had to tandem nurse with two Lact-Aids. It was doable, but I was glad when he got adjusted enough to be happy to sit in my other arm and cuddle for most of the time she was nursing. He is going to be a father soon. Time sure flies!

Last edited by Darillyn; 11/14/10 12:47 AM.
J
J in TX Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks! I am definitely making more milk, but I'm not sure how much. Still not alot, I think, but building up slowly. I'm still sort of in a gray zone -- doing too well to give up, not doing well enough for it to be worth it. <sigh>

Nursing bras arrived, and they make a big difference in my ability to be outside the house. Mostly just don't wear one at home. I'm sure I look lovely.

I'm glad you mentioned, Linda, about it not feeling like it did with your bio children. I keep trying to feel let down and all those normal things, and they aren't there... but as long as there's milk getting into my baby, then I'm OK.

Update -- I now put her to breast before the lactaid for each feeding. In the middle of the night, she needs very little supplement (2 oz, maybe?) She needs the lactaid sooner each feeding after that, but still getting some milk right from the breast. I'm also pumping after feedings when I can (maybe twice a day?). Sometimes, I'm too busy with the baby, and that's a wonderful thing, too!

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Well done!

Sounds like you are improving which is great news.
I was concerned with my DD that I wasn't producing enough milk for 2 reasons; one the let down wasn't at all like my bio children, not as much spray out and the pump didn't produce much milk. With my bio children the milk flowed in~
My husband said that he thought I had plenty of milk ( ahem) but I was fearful.
Little by little I was more confident in what my body supplied. The evening were the lowest supply for me but we managed with the BF and lact aid.
I would let your DD BF for comfort as well as milk. If she has taken enough from the lact aid, allow her to nurse even if you feel "dry". It really does help.

Keep eating those oats, drinking plenty and slowly increase your dom. Have her nurse BOTH breast before the lact aid. You might write Lenore for her suggestions on the later. I went up to 120 and it was fine for me.

It is worth it. You are doing great. Let go of previous expectations and enjoy the wonder of your precious one.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.