Print Thread
#13953 11/25/10 11:29 PM
Texas
Z
Zaramom Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Texas
My first daughter was born via surrogate almost 2 weeks ago. Two weeks prior to her arrival, I was pumping but not getting much milk. Once she was born, I tried to feed her on my breast but she kept losing weight, so I began supplementing with formula. Now, I am able to pump up to 2oz a day, that's all. I try and put her on my breast as often as I can but she gets so frustrated. I also tried the lact-aid but it was too difficult for me.

I am thinking of increasing my dom to 120mg/day to see if that helps. I'm eating oatmeal everyday and I'm taking fenugreek and blessed thistle.

Is it too late now to get her back on my breast? I was hoping if the constant pumping would increase my flow, then perhaps she wouldn't get so frustrated on my breast. Trying to relax but I know I'm too anxious. We've waited so long for her, and she has a tiny mouth and I have very large breasts...

I feel so guilty for giving her formula even tho' I"m able to give her some of my milk every day w/ a bottle...

Feeling like a bad mommy...

Zaramom #13954 11/26/10 05:28 AM
Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
You are not a bad mommy!
increasing your dom might help, but the most help is the lact aid, for it stimulates increased milk supply by your daughter sucking.

Can you give the lact aid another try? She would not be frustrated at the breast even if your milk supply isn't built up yet because she will be getting milk with each suck.

A couple of tips that might help. First, you can use a band aid to tape the tube on your nipple. That way she will get milk from the first latch and the tube won't move around.
Also, you can put the milk bag in your bra instead of wearing it around your neck if that works better for you.

I would also put the bag on when I was getting near the time that my DD would be hungry, no messing around with it when she was frantic to eat. It was body temp that way.

try and be relaxed and calm while feeding. Your DD can feel tension and it will key her up as well. Pick a comfortable place to nurse her, maybe the couch or an arm chair. If it's the same spot each time, and it's a relaxing place, it might help you let down the milk. Maybe soothing music?
If you are large breasted, try getting a pillow that helps with breast feeding, such as " my breast friend, or a boppy". I used the former and it really helped with positioning and being more comfortable.

Also, make sure she latches on properly. That makes a difference as well. Ask advise from la leche league or a professional lactate consultant.

The bottom line is that the bonding time is just as important as the milk, maybe more so. She needs your love and mothering. If you have milk, great, if you have a little, great. If it's with a lact aid and formula, great. You need to do what is best for BOTH of you for a loving time.

hope that helps
Linda

Last edited by Linda; 11/26/10 05:31 AM.
Linda #13955 11/27/10 11:12 PM
Texas
Z
Zaramom Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Texas
Actually, that does help. I will give the lact-aid another try, esp. with putting it in my bra. I never thought of that! Ok, thanks, Linda...

Zaramom #13968 01/05/11 08:46 PM
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
I have been away from here for awhile. My Apologies. Are you still pumping? I know the lact-aid can be frustrating. Let me how things are going. It isn't too late to get her to the breast even now.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.