photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I have an incredibly wonderful exclusively breastfed daughter, she is almost 7.5 months old and we had a VERY rough first 3 months with low weight gain, (I am now taking Domperidone, but trying to wean myself). Maybe wonderful Lenore even remembers us from the BF support group at the hospital, HI LENORE! Ayla has NOT yet taken to solids, but it seems like we have a few issues that have to be dealt with and I am beginning to think they are interrelated. Ayla does not like to eat throughout the day, she prefers to eat from the all night boobie buffet in bed. She often goes 5 to 6 hours in the day even though I try VERY hard to get some milk into her. As she is getting bigger, stronger and more mobile, these "feedings" are starting to look like wrestling matches. I do not want to force anything nor do we subscribe to the "cry it out philosophy" so depriving my daughter of food for a few nights is not really an option. Please please please tell me there is a kinder way to get my little girl to eat a few times through the day, (solids would be a great thing to start) and how we might all get more that 2 hours of sleep in a row. No joking aside she is up at least 4 times between 11pm and 6 am. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. I just want to add her weight gain is good she is incredibly healthy and strong.

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi!!!!

So nice to see your here. Well since you're in Montreal, my advice is to visit the mother-baby support group at our hospital. It's on Tuesdays 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm. How about dropping in tomorrow? Just call in the AM to let them know you're coming (514) 340-8253 and to make sure that Carole's going to be there.

I just arrived in Texas a few minutes ago to visit with my surrogate mom and see my baby due in Nov. We're doing the amniocentesis in the AM.

If you can't see Carole, email me at lenore@asklenore.info and I'll be happy to give you some strategies.

Fondly, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello,
At 7.5 months she should be ready for solids. We started our son out on rice cereal, you could make it with breastmilk.
After one week, you could then introduce orange veggies, such as pureed squash,,,then yellow veggies next. Only introduce one new food per week, to make sure she has no allergies to it. After the cereal, orange and yellow veggies, you could move on to green veggies, then fruits. I introduced fruits last, it has been proven that if you start out on veggies first, they will still be eating them later on. If they get used to to sweet fruit right away, then she may not want to eat the veggies. After the veggies, you can start her on meat pureed with some salt free chicken or veg. stock. She is ready for solids when she no longer has the "extrusion reflex",,this is when you put a spoon of baby food in her mouth, see if she pushes it out with her tongue or is able to keep it in. If she can keep it in, generally around six months,,,then she is ready for solids.
Avoid potential allergens in the first year,,,avoid eggs, strawberries etc...make sure everything is soupy at first, you can dilute with breast milk or stock. You can freeze the baby food in ice cube trays and when she is ready to eat, just pop one or two cubes out and microwave...make sure you test the temperature and stir well. Making homemade baby food is easy, yes it is time consuming, but I did it while working full time! I always give my son organic food as well, it is a little more pricey but I feel it is worth it,,their bodies are so little to tolerate all the preservatives and artificial ingredients in most things.
we are still waiting for our little girl....your daughter is very beautiful....take care, Cathy

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.