Next Thread
Print Thread
#1432 05/23/03 04:41 PM
R
Rosa Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hello Everyone,
I do not want to make waves but I wanted to mention something I saw on the other message board. A women was asking a question and someone responded with the three ways to go about adoptive breastfeeding. Of course the protocol was mentioned last. The first way was just putting baby to breast basically I do not even think using herbs was mentioned. Anyway the person who posted a reply said that by doing this you should get about 1/2 a supply. For the protocol it was said that you should get 3/4 a supply. I know that everyone is different but it was my understanding that your chances were pretty good for getting an adaquete supply. I to know that some women have been succesful with getting a full supply. The women who posted the question I think was not interested in pursuring using the bcp.
It made me think about those who are sincerly looking for answers and they may not know much about adoptive breastfeeding. Anyway I feel they are not recieving quite truthful answers by some of the site moderaters. I am not trying to be mean but when I was searching for answers on adoptive breastfeeding I did not know much and I thought that those who were main contributors to the message boards must know what they are talking about. I now know that there are different ways to about adoptive breastfeeding and that you need to find a way that is comfortable to you. In saying that I am comfortable doing what I am doing.
When I presented the info to my doctor and lactation consultant they were so postive. Both to have been helpful in answering questions and my doctor in prescribing meds. To me the protocol offered a chance to in a way to experience what it must be like to be pregnant. My husband has had the chance to support me and take care of me, allowing me the rest I needed and now the time to pump. This has been good for him.
In saying that I am pleased with my results. It may take me a little time to work up my supply but wouldn't I be doing that if I was going about this another way. I feel like I do not want to even post quesitons or how I am doing on the other site because many are so negative about the protocol. I think that by today or tommorow I should hit the 10 ounce mark. Based on how I am doing and how I am progressing I think my chances are good for getting a full supply. It is my hope that by the time my baby comes I can simply put my baby to breast and the milk will flow. In the chance though that I need to supplement for a while I will be able to pull out my expressed milk and my baby can have breastmilk in a supplementar.
Just out of curiosity how is it to mix breastmilk and formula? Formula in the supplementar and milk from the breast. When I went to class on breastfeeding lactation consultant reccommended not mixing breasmilk and formula.
I just needed to voice my thoughts. I hope I did not offend anyone.
Thanks,
Bella

Rosa #1433 05/24/03 03:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bella,
I agree with you. I know the other message board is not pro-protocol. Everyone has to do what is right for them. I had alot of side effects from the meds and in hindsite am wondering if the 45 lb weight gain was worth the one teaspoon per pumping I am making after one week of every two hour pumping. I also have my right ankle still very swollen, it has not gone down yet. I never had any of these problems before the Diane. I also have alot more wrinkles, I believe d/t the anti-androgen properties of the Diane, made my skin shriveled up like a prune, dried it out alot.
I certainly wanted to make a full supply, it is looking very doubtful, I am still only getting one drop from my right breast after one week. I will use the Lact-aid and hope for the best. I am glad I at least tried to make my own milk, so I can say I tried.
We put our paperwork in for Guatemala and we are hoping for the best. Thanks, Cathy

#1434 05/24/03 05:16 AM
experienced member
experienced member
Hi Bella,

Thank you for bringing this up. Lenore originally had a forum over there called "ask lenore". She spent a lot of time and energy fending off members of that site who were not even interested in breastfeeding anymore, just in making her run around doing research for them. Most of her work helping moms ended up being done by private email because those members were so antagonistic they scared ladies off the site.

Actually it's even worse than what you decribe. Besides all the negativity and misleading information, they have trashed Lenore up and down. It's positively disgusting the things they say about her both in public and in private. They accused her of "peddling" the protocols when everyone knows she doesn't earn a dime from her work with adoptive moms, she even donates her salary that she earns from the hospital to keep the breastfeeding clinic running. She goes above and beyond the call of duty, often replying to our questions when she's on vacation or sick or even when she suffered personal losses.

The owner of the other site shut the Ask Lenore forum down without any warning, leaving us all high and dry. Fortunately, Lenore already had this website in the works to help recurrent miscarriage and infertility patients. So she added the breastfeeding section and here we are. Since the move, life has been a whole lot more peaceful and we now have a true choice as to how we wish to breastfeed.

Lenore supports all reasonable methods of breastfeeding. She doesn't push the protocols if a woman doesn't want to do meds. Personally, I'm very grateful that she hung in there and put up this site.

In the end, with all that has been said and done, the protocols are gaining world wide attention. They were recently published in the new edition of the Breastfeeding Answer Book by Nancy Morbacher and published by La Leche League International.

I'm happy you gave me the opportunity to say something I've wanted to say for a long time.

End of rant. Esther

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.