photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
I have been successfully nursing for 3 months and have been taking Domperidone, fenugreek and blessed thistle every day. Do i need to keep taking the domperidone? I am almost out and need to order more if I have to keep taking it. I have lots of the herbs still. Do I need to take it as long as I am breast feeding? If i stop will my milk supply go away?

Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
You need to keep taking Domperidone for as long as you are nursing. It is what is keeping your milk supply going. You may be able to slowly decrease your dose one pill a day (90mg to 80 mg)for a week to see how it affects your supply. If you stop more abruptly you supply will tank.

Michele
Mommy to Danielle born 5/30/08 and Brady born 12/26/10
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I agree with Michelle. Dr. Newman said he wouldn't recommend decreasing much until the baby is over a year old. I did decrease down to 80 mg from 120 a day when the baby was 10 or 11 months, but even doing that I saw a drop in supply.

I did stop taking the blessed thistle much earlier and stopped taking the fenugreek around 9 months.
Jennifer

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Hello,

I am asking for advise for my DIL. Our grandson is 3 days old and isn't latching well at all. She has tried all the tricks, and is so exhausted and upset thinking she is a bad mom. She is engorged now which makes it harder. I loaned her my pump and it is working ok, not much expressed though about 1 oz.

She is going to try nipple shields. Anyone out there that can offer advise?
Thanks so very much

Linda

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I would suggest her calling a LC. With my son, he was tongue tied at birth and couldn't latch at all. We had him clipped, but he was still having trouble. The LC came to our house and made all the difference. She did suggest a nipple shield. I used it for a couple of weeks. I would try first without it. If I couldn't get him latched within 5 minutes, I would use the shield and he could latch on easily. Over the course of 2-3 weeks, he needed it less often. I think my nipples were a little inverted and combined with relearning how to nurse because of the tie, it made it hard to latch. Make sure she has the right size shields (this is something a LC can tell you).

Good luck!
Jennifer

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Thanks Jennifer.
She did have a LC come over today, but she didn't really give any help. Just said that we could give a little liquid on a spoon and he would probably latch on fine. He did a bit, but kept popping on and off. He would not latch at all this afternoon and into the evening. Everyone is concerned, he is not getting enough liquids this way. Hopefully the shields will help.
How can you tell if the baby is tongue tied? Carson seems to have a LONG tongue.
I will pass on your encouragement to my DIL thanks for responding

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Thanks Jennifer.
She did have a LC come over today, but she didn't really give any help. Just said that we could give a little liquid on a spoon and he would probably latch on fine. He did a bit, but kept popping on and off. He would not latch at all this afternoon and into the evening. Everyone is concerned, he is not getting enough liquids this way. Hopefully the shields will help.
How can you tell if the baby is tongue tied? Carson seems to have a LONG tongue.
I will pass on your encouragement to my DIL thanks for responding

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Horray! the nipple shields worked. All of us are quite thrilled about that~

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Congrats! What a relief

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Tell her to always try first without the shield. The goal is to eventually wean him off the shield. Try for 5 minutes without and then use the shield. Then 5 minutes on other side before using the shield. So glad it worked!
Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.