Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wisconsin
E
OP Offline
E
Wisconsin
Hi All, This site has been so helpful for me and my SO, I just have one question.

Should I continue to pump while I do the accelerated protocol if I've already started pumping or should I stop pumping temporarily? I have been trying to induce naturally with just pumping and Fennugreek, Blessed Thistle. No success at all other than tender breasts, some tingling, and I think some size increase.

We've decided to try the accelerated protocol (I'm 44 and have never breastfed or been pregnant) I just started taking a small amount of Dom (10mg tab 3-4 times a day) to get my body used to it and I will be starting Provera 2.5 in about a week.

The protocol says not to pump till after 30-60 days on the protocol but I worry that since I've already been pumping regularly for 6 weeks that if I stop now I will be going backwards, also my breasts are tender and seem "want" the pumping.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks
Emma

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
If you are doing the protocol, I would stop the pumping. The purpose of the protocol is to simulate a pregnancy to trick your breasts. You want to start the provera right away if possible (you should have started it at the same time as the dom). Starting at 40 mg a day for a week is the protocol. Then you increase to 80 mg a day (20 mg 4x a day).

Then when you are ready to start pumping, you stop the provera and start pumping and your body will start producing milk.

When are you expecting a baby?

Jennifer

Just an FYI - I didn't use Provera, I used bcp's so my experience with provera is not first hand, but I assume it is the same as the bcp's. I induced lactation using the protocol two times and achieved a full supply both times.

Wisconsin
E
OP Offline
E
Wisconsin
Thank you jenmarko for your advice. I think you are right I should follow the protocol and stop pumping, it just felt frustrating to basically put all that work aside.

I just started the Dom and was going to wait a week to start the Provera(I'm taking this due to my age instead of the BC pill) because I'm concerned about how taking all these meds at once would make me feel so I was going to space it out by a week. I've been taking the Dom for 2 days and no issues so I'm going to start the Provera tomorrow morning and following the protocol.

Our baby( a boy!) is due June 17th but we're planning that he may be here early, this is the 2nd birth for the bm and she was 2 weeks early for her first.

I don't anticipate being able to provide all his needs but hope to have at least some milk when he arrives. I'm trying not to have too high of expectations regarding the amount I'll be able to produce.

Wisconsin
E
OP Offline
E
Wisconsin
I have milk! I've been on the accelerated protocol for 15 days and today I noticed a lot of tingling in my breasts, so I decided to use a small hand pump to see if anything happened and I got multiple big drops of milk right away! Not enough to collect but enough to drop down and wet the shield. I still have at least 2 weeks on the protocol.

My question is since have some milk already should I incorporate some pumping to try to empty the little milk I have or should I just let it sit there in the breast and not really start pumping till I stop the provera in 2-3 weeks?

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Do not pump at all while you are still on the provera. You are trying to simulate pregnancy and pumping or stimulating your breasts sends the wrong message to your body. Leave your breasts alone until you stop the provera.

Good Luck!

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I totally agree with Claudia. You do not want to start any stimulation of the breasts until you stop the provera. I hope this is a good sign for you!
Jennifer

Wisconsin
E
OP Offline
E
Wisconsin
Thank you both for your advice!

TX
J
J
TX
I had exactly the same questions and concerns as Emma and so glad to find these answers. I'm having trouble getting an obgyn to prescribe Yasmin but am trying another doctor next week. I am taking Yaz instead because I got samples but the levels of progesterone aren't as high. Is this still helpful if I can't get a prescription for Yasmin?

Nice to hear I can take a break from pumping for a bit!

jennifer

Mom to baby boy born April 8th and placed April 19th. Finally got the nursing going, even without a supplementer at times!
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I don't know about the Yaz. I would e-mail Lenore to see.
Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.