Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14631 04/27/12 02:42 PM
H
OP Offline
H
I have a 7 month old baby who has been breastfeeding since birth. However, for some strange reason my milk has almost completely dried up and we had to start supplementing formula because she was not gaining weight. I would LOVE to still be fully breast feeding though. I am going to start the increasing milk protocol but I don't know how exactly to go about getting the Domperidone. Can I order it online without a prescription? Or do I need one? And if I do need one do I just go to a regular family doctor (I don't have one yet, we just moved to the area) or some kind of specific doctor? Being a new and young mom I will take all the advice and suggestions I can get! Thank you so much!!

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
You can order domperidone without a prescription at inhousepharmacy.biz
If you gave birth to the baby, I wouldn't do a protocol. I would just start taking the domperidone to increase your supply and see how it goes. Have you seen a lactation consultant? They can weigh the baby before and after a feed to see how much milk you are actually producing. I would be surprised if your milk dried up if you were ebf. You might just need to bf more often to increase your supply.
Good luck.
Jennifer

H
OP Offline
H
Thank you Jennifer! I am new to this whole thing... what is the difference between a "protocol" and just taking domperidone and herbs? I was planning on taking the drug and then adding the herbs just like her recipe says. Also what does ebf mean?

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
EBF means exclusively breastfeeding. The "protocol" involves taking birth control pills to trick the body into thinking that it is pregnant. You do not need to do that. You can just take the domperidone and herbs.

Good luck!

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
What Claudia said smile
I think a lactation consultant could be the most important thing for you if you don't have one. Were you supplementing before the milk supply became an issue? Was your baby losing weight or just gaining slowly? It can be totally normal for a bf baby to slow down in weight gain after 6 months. Is your doctor supportive of bf?
Jennifer

H
OP Offline
H
No I don't have a lactation consultant. That might be a good idea. No my daughter had never had formula until the doc told us we needed to start supplementing. But I feel like I never had very much milk the whole time. But somehow she survived on it. She did not loose weight... but was just the exact same weight a month later (at 5 mo). Then we started supplementing and she gained but then another month later she was the same again. And yes my doctor is supportive of bf. Well we will give this thing a go! smile

H
OP Offline
H
Question: If I gave birth to my child and am taking domp and herbs to bring my milk supply back to life, do you think that I will need to take domp the whole time I am breastfeeding her? Or will I just need to take it to kickstart my milk again and once the supply is back in I can stop taking it?

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
It's possible you may only have to take it to increase supply. When you wean off, do it slowly. If you see a drop, go back up in dosage.
Jennifer

H
OP Offline
H
Thank you!!

Maryland
M
M
Maryland
I am having this problem as well. My doc prescribed the Yasmin, but won't/can't do the domperidone. She said it is not supposed to be given to infants. I tried to explain but I am going through her nurse who doesn't seem to understand either. Is it illegal in the US? How reliable is the site where it is ordered? I have just about 2 months so I want to get started. Is there another drug I could get my doc to prescribe that works equally well? Can I start the BC pills without the other or should I wait?

Any help is welcome!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.