Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14856 09/08/12 03:20 AM
South east
Tobin's Offline OP
OP Offline
South east
I have 2 questions. First, is there such thing as taking too little Dom? What I mean is, is there a point where it's not even worth it, or does any little bit help? I see people post here that they're taking all different dosages. My doctor was very hesitant about it, so he put me on a dose that seems to be a lot smaller than most (10 mg 4 times a day) and I'm wondering if it's doing any good at all.

My other question is one you probably get asked all the time: how long before your milk came in? I know it's different for everyone, but I'm just curious (and mostly impatient).

~Tobin's Mom

Mom to Ty and soon-to-be mom to Toby.
TX
J
J
TX
I don't know about dosing amount. I'm taking 30mg 4 times a day. I started off at 20 mg 4 times a day for 45 days only because I already had my son. My milk came in 4 days after I started pumping. First day I got clear drops, then opaque drops, then milk drops. Took quite awhile to build to a spray, maybe a week and a half, and it slowly kept building. I did a lot of pumping after every feeding, another pumping last thing before bed and one in middle of night when he slept longer. I'm currently making 75% of his milk and might get to 100% which I didn't think would ever happen with my late start and shorter protocol.

Mom to baby boy born April 8th and placed April 19th. Finally got the nursing going, even without a supplementer at times!
South east
Tobin's Offline OP
OP Offline
South east
Is that faster than normal? I guess I was thinking I might have to wait a few days to see ANYTHING.

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I think that 20 mg 4 times a day is the minimum you want to be one. I also increased to 30 mg 4 times a day.

Just remember your milk doesn't "come in" like it does with a bio baby. It slowly builds. The first time I induced, I got drops the first day and built quickly (6 oz by the end of the week) but the baby was already with us, so I think that helped my production. The second time, it took me 4-5 days to see any drops. I had to start looking at pictures of crying babies and envisioning nursing a baby to trigger my breasts to start producing anything.

Jennifer

South east
Tobin's Offline OP
OP Offline
South east
I'm on day 3 and so far... nothing. I'r trying really hard not to be discouraged. It's good to hear that not seeing anything yet isn't out of the ordinary.

South east
Tobin's Offline OP
OP Offline
South east
Actually, update on the above: I got a clear drop! Am I a complete dork to be thrilled about this???

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
No you aren't! Any sign is encouragement that the process is working! Congrats

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Also in the beginning I got more from hand expressing than the pump (it is NOT a replacement for the pump). I would hand express for a few minutes after pumping and see if you get drops then.

South east
Tobin's Offline OP
OP Offline
South east
I think I need to read up on that a little more. I've tried, but it doesn't seem like it would be effective. Also, it hurts! wink I must be doing it wrong.

TX
J
J
TX
I would try and find a video on hand expression because seeing is better than reading. Congrats on your drops! It will come. I also got much more hand expressing than pumping, which I figured out was wrong size shields while pumping. Hand expressing doesn't hurt me now but my breasts definitely felt like I was manhandling them at first.

Mom to baby boy born April 8th and placed April 19th. Finally got the nursing going, even without a supplementer at times!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.