Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#15021 10/28/12 04:15 PM
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Our baby is due first week in February. I have started to induce lactation and have tried a few different Protocols and would like to ask your advice from here.

1. I started in April. First I tried just Domperidone and pumping. After 2 1/2 months just drops.

2. Then middle of July I tried - Domperidone 2 x 4 day with 200 Prometrium and Estradiol patch on breasts for 28 days. I had very significant breast changes. Larger size, heavy, and much darker areolas. After being on this protocol I started pumping every 3 hours and after 2 1/2 months just several drops. The breast changes diminished over time. Breasts went back to pre size and color.

3. Went to my doctor who specials in infertility and endocrinology. He did blood work and breast MRI. All come out perfect. I showed him your articles. He cleared me to start BCP of ZARAH, generic of YASMIN. I also take 20 x 4 times a day Domperidone. I will take these four 4 months and then start pumping.

I am 47 but run 1 1/2 hrs a day and take aspirin everyday, also never smoked or blood pressure issues. I even wear therapeutic stockings a night. (this all reduces the risk of taking BCP) I also am to keep once a month appointments with this doctor for close watch.

4. I have been on the ZARAH now for 21 days and have not experienced any breast changes. Should I "add" small amount of Prometrium and the Estradiol patch to my breasts, adding to my Current BCP Protocol? or add 1/2 provera??

When I started this journey I had 10 months to prepare, now I am down to 3 1/2 months and do not want to waste anymore time on wrong amounts of hormones. I want to stay on hormones as long as possible and when baby is here start nursing with supplemented, donated, breast milk until mine comes in. I will also pump.

Thank everyone so much for your time,

Colette

Colette
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Hi Colette,

I would email Lenore with this question.

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Hi,
Yes, I did also email Lenore but wanted to see if other women had this experience and what solutions worked for them.
We are the women pioneering this new frontier!!

Heartfelt thanks to all,

Colette

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I agree to check with Lenore or Dr. Newman for medication suggestions. I will say that I had very little breast change before I started pumping. I also have a bio son and I had little breast change while pregnant, so I think this is normal for me.

Jennifer

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Okay.....

Lenore did write me back and said that "Zarah", generic for "Yasmin" is no longer recommended for any Protocol! The risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis" is very high with this BCP. She said that if I insist on a progesterone/estrogen pill for me to use "Ortho 1/35. I have called my Doctor to discuss this switch.

Colette
South east
South east
If it helps, I really never got any significant breast changes. One grew a little. The other seems content to stay about the same.

Mom to Ty and soon-to-be mom to Toby.
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Were you able to achieve full milk supply or close to it, Tobin?
Did you use BCP and which one, if it is okay to ask?

Colette
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I got a full supply with little breast change during the protocol. I used the Yasmin because that is what was recommended at the time. The second time they were recommending the Ortho, but I stuck with the Yasmin because I had good luck with it the first time.
Jennifer

South east
South east
I've gotten a little over 3 ounces a day so far. I'm hoping for more once Toby gets here.

I used Yasmin. I had really bad side effects, so I only took two packs.

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
My doctor got back to me on taking the Yasmin and said with all the precautions I have taken, Yasmin is okay. He also sees me once a month and said not to worry.
Tobin, what where your "bad side effects". I really feel great on Yasmin and will just be patient and not worry about not seeing any breast changes.

Colette
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
If you aren't seeing breast changes, then maybe you should try the Ortho? Did Lenore suggest adding any progesterone?
Jennifer

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
She did suggest the Ortho but it was because the clinic no longer recommends taking Yasmin. Do you find that some women respond to one type BCP and others respond better to another? Our bodies are all different.

Colette
South east
South east
For one thing. the Yasmin made me nauseated. I don't know if another one would have, but I felt awful the whole time I was taking it.

I also managed to have the period from hell while still on the pill (even skipping the placebos). It was 3 weeks long, heavy, and painful. If I ever do this again, I'll try something else.

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Hi Everyone,
Update...
I have just completed two full months on Yasmin and I am just starting to feel some breast tenderness. smile
I am going to remain on the birth control pill for two more full months and then start pumping.
I will keep you posted as I go along.

Colette
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Glad you see changes!

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Jennifer (jenmarko) question??

You have been around awhile and talking to many people. I have read many posts from people that where on the Yasmin BCP doing the regular protocol that had little or no breast changes but can't find much information on how milk production worked out for them. I have read yours stated many times, that is Yasmin worked out very well and both times you did achieved full milk supply. Do you remember if most people using Yasmin had the same success rate? No breast changes but the Yasmin was still very successful?
Thank you Jennifer for any help,

Colette
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I honestly don't know. I know Yasmin was the recommendation when I started the protocol and I did see quite a few people having good results with it. But I think the breast changes is dependant. I do have a bio son and I didn't have much breast change while pregnant with him either. My breast change came after I started bf.
Jennifer

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Thank you Jennifer. I did spend a few hours last night sifting thru a search for Yasmin and success rates and all that I found actually where very successful! Most little if any breast changes. When I do start pumping, I will post my progress for people to draw upon my experience.

Colette
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Baby is expected to be born early. Due date was February 3rd but doctor has put her on bed rest hoping to make it as long as possible. So my regular Protocol has turned to accelerated Protocol! I was on Yasmin for 68 days.

Started pumping yesterday and at first pumping I got 5 ml !! Then second 2 ml. Then only .9 mil.
Today it is just drops. I know hormones are very much still in my system but was so excited with the huge start... Now I guess reality is here. I am really so excited though to be doing this amazing journey!

Colette
C
C
Good luck! You've got plenty of time to get regulated!!! Just remember to relax!!

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Good luck!
Jennifer

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
I am at day 8 with pumping. Progress is slow. First day got total 8 ml but just drops since then.
Day ...
1. 8 ml
2. Drops formed
3. A few more drops than yesterday
4. Drops now dripping off nipple
5. Drops dripping off nipple
6. Drops dripped into breast shield during pumping, maybe 3
7. Two times had a small squirt while hand expressing
8, Drips in shield and one squirt.

I take Fenugreek, blessed thistle, alfalfa and eat oatmeal every day.
I try to pump 11 times a day (once at night) but some days are 9.
Some days my breasts feel fuller, others no change.

I remember that Lenore stated she felt that she had drops forever in the beginning, so trying to not get discouraged.

Colette
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Oh, forgot to say that I am taking 20 mg of domperidone 5 times a day, totaling 100 mg a day.

Colette
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Okay...
It has now been 19 days of pumping and still just drops and an occasional squirt when I hand express. I have still not experienced any breast changes. Today I saw my doctor and discussed with him what matters most to me; the bonding experience or having breast milk. To me I want to provide breast milk for my child thru age 2 years. So I have decided to go back on the hormones for 3 more months. Baby may be born but can use donor milk until I am ready. I just do not want to use donor milk forever. I want to produce the milk and breast feed my child myself.
I will not go back onto the Yasmin, do to lack of breast changes but will take Prometrium and use Estradiol cream or patches on my breasts. Dr Jack Newman has had some success with this combination.
As always I will keep everyone posted. This is such a learning journey for all of us.

Colette
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
I have been on the Prometrium and estradiol patches on breasts now for seven days. I am increasing in size with nipple and breast tenderness. I feel this protocol I am responding to.

Colette
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Mother is doing better and looks like she will make it full-term. I plan on staying on this protocol until the baby is born in February.

Colette
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
I do want to tell you that the amount of Prometruim my doctor prescribed is 200 mg and to apply .10 Vivelle Estradiol patch on eash breast changing every 3 1/2 days. (patch is only active for 3 1/2 days) This he feels is closer to the dosing in a Yasmin BCP. Both of these hormones are Bio-Identical and much safer than birth control pills for women over 35. I have had breast changes in the 10 days since I have been taking this medication. I will have to wait to see if it is effective.

Colette
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Glad you are seeing an improvement. Keep us updated.

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Hope it works out for you!
Jennifer

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Hi Everyone,
>
> Just an update here...
> I have now been on this hormonal protocol (200 mg Prometrium with .10 Estradiol patch on each breast and 3 Domperidone 5 x a day ) for one month and my breasts are responding nicely! They are much fuller, heavier, and sore with very tender nipples. The nipples are also getting darker. These are all signs
that my breasts are building more aveoli. I will be on this Protocol until March 24th and then start stimulation.
> I will check back in a month from now for another up date.
>
> Warm Thoughts To All,

Colette
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
That's great Colette!!

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA

Here are my new blood test results...

This is after 2 months on Yasmin and 110 mg Domperidone. Then followed by 2 months on 200mg prometrium while using .01 estradiol patches on my breasts with 150 mg Domperidone.

Estradiol 559 pd/ml
progesterone 13.6 ng/ml
prolactin 735.32 ng/ml
TSH 3.52

The doctor said that these numbers are very impressive for a menopausal female. We have succeeded in creating a pregnancy state.
I have one more month on these hormones and then on to NURSING and breast pump!!

All my thyroid levels have remained steady throughout. The doctor said when I go off the hormones with the sudden drop, thyroid levels may change and he will check them again. I am to see him 3 weeks after I stop hormones for the blood work. I stop the hormones on March 24th.

My breasts have really increased in size and still very tender especially on the outer sides and a lot of nipple tenderness. These are all great successful signs. I'm so excited to start pumping.

Colette
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
That's great, Colette. Congrats and good luck.

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
For my last month here on the hormone protocol I decided to make a few changes. I went to 300 mg Prometrium and instead of the .10 mg estradiol patch on each breast I decided to use progesterone cream on each breast. I come about these changes after doing some reading.

After one week of changing the protocol of putting Progesterone cream on my breasts instead of using the estradiol patches on my breasts, my breasts have become less tinder and sensitive. I do not think these are good signs, so I have gone back to the estradiol patches. I have increased prometrium to 300mg.

Last edited by Colette; 03/09/13 06:26 PM.

Colette
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Hi everyone,
I am so excited! I start pumping this Saturday March 23. I will be pumping for two weeks before our little boy arrives. I know that is not a lot of pumping time before the baby arrives but I feel the baby will be able to provide better breast stimulation nursing.
I will keep everybody informed on how pumping is going.

Colette
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Good luck!
Jennifer

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Good Luck! Keep us updated!

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Hi Everyone,

My first pumping session went great. I got 5 ml. Then the next was 3 ml and the next was just 1 ml.
What I pumped was thicker than milk and yellowish in color. This is pre milk and is normal. My milk has not come in yet. I am on day 4 after hormones and they are still in my system and effecting the milk and the amount I pump. Since that first day of pumping I have just gotten the thicker yellowish milk and just drops. This too is normal. I will see this change to milk over the next few days and then start to increase in volume. I am pumping about 10 Times a day. I will be back when milk is in.

Colette
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
The drops changed to milk today! Still drops but Definitely white milk.

Colette
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
That's awesome! Congrats

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Yay!
Jennifer

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Today is day 8 of pumping after hormones and durning hand expression I got a spray of milk!
It seems as though the Progress of drops, dripping, and sprays of milk, take the same order after hormones as it does just using natural methods. The difference is it moves along faster. When I just used natural methods I did not get to sprays of milk until 8 weeks.

Medication and herbs that I am taking...
150 mg domperidone
Fenugreek 2 , 3x a day
Blessed thistle 2, 3x a day
Alfalfa. 3, 3x a day
More milk special blend
by Motherslove 2, 3x a day
Lots of water
The first few days I tried giving up my coffee and it's a no go. So I do drink 2 cups of coffee a day and it has not seemed to affect anything. It may be counteracted by all the water I drink.

Colette
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Today is day 10 of pumping,
I am in getting 1 mL out of each breast at each pumping!
When I was using natural methods for months I did not get this much ever. I hope it keeps increasing.!!!! smile
Our baby boy will be here on Friday. I will be using Supplemental nursing system.

Colette
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Sounds great!
Jennifer

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Congratulations!

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Today is day 16 of pumping and I still am not getting any more then 1 mL from each breast. Our baby arrived three days ago and I've been using the supplemental nursing system with him. I hope that nursing him will help increase my supply.

Colette
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
The Doctor also gave me some Oxytocin nasal spray to help with lactation and my let down. It does not seem to have made a difference.

Colette
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Getting so discouraged. I am still just getting about 1 mL maybe a little more after each pumping. Even with our son Nursing using supplemental nursing system. I thought it would help the supply. It has only been a week with him nursing but three weeks of pumping. I am so tired it is really hard keeping up with everything. I am not giving up though just getting discouraged. My doctor has given me and oxytocin nasal spray to help with milk let down if that is the problem I have noticed slightly more.

Colette
M
M
Colette - your story sounds so similar to mine. I think that for some people this
just doesn't work for whatever reason. Unfortunately people don't talk about the failures so it seems like it should always work. Giving up also feels so disappointing after everything you have invested (emotionally and financially) into induced lactation.

At 6 weeks I gave up after not getting more than 7 ml/day and then decided to restart the protocol for 3 months. My daughter will be almost 6 months old before I know if it worked or not. I am not holding out much hope

I think that the over 35 progesterone only protocol is particularly ineffective for some people. My dr suggested a modification on the regular one and is holding out hope that i will see better results with that one.

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Do you know for sure that he isn't getting anything while he is nursing with the SNS? Are you using the Lactaid or the Medela? I wonder if you have more when he is nursing and you just don't know it. Is there any seediness to his bm's?

Sorry you are having such a difficult time.
Jennifer

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Mollysmom, thank you for your Response. I also feel that Menopause protocol Does not get the same results as the regular protocol. However I have decreased my domperidone. I have gone down to 120 mg instead of 160mg. Domperidone works by suppressing dopamine and suppressing dopamine can cause depression and fatigue. Of which I was severely feeling. With my new schedule with the new baby and stressing out about milk production I needed to back up. So I am going to hang in the here and give it much longer.
Jennifer, Thank you for all your comments helping me. I do not see much breastmilk coming through with poops. Sometimes I pump before a feed just to see how much I'm getting. Still not much more then 2 ml each side. I do realize the baby is getting much more than I can pump but what double? 4ml?

Colette
MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Just a quick up date ...
It has been a blissful and very busy six months!!
I have kept up my nursing and pumping. I do produce only about 15 oz of breast milk a day but I love the incredible bonding moments of our nursing sessions.
I only take 60 mg of Domperidone because of the fatigue side effect it has on me. I take Fenugreek and blessed thistle. Here again I take less then recommended. 2 of each 3 times a day.
I feel any amount of breast milk I can provide my child ... is a blessing!!

Colette
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
15 oz a day is awesome. Last time you posted you thought you were only making 4 ml each time. That is amazing! How old is the baby now?
Jennifer

MA
C
Colette Offline OP
OP Offline
C
MA
Thank you Jennifer!
My son is now eight months old.

Colette
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.